No parent likes to walk into their home to the smell of dirty diapers. That is why it is imperative to own a diaper pail that locks in all those smelly scents. Below we have compiled a list of the 10 best diaper pails as well as which one we think is the absolute best of the group. We have also included quality information to help you with making a decision on the best diaper pail for your family.
1. What Is a Diaper Pail?
A diaper pail is a specific disposal method for dirty diapers. It is very similar to a regular trash can except for the fact that it helps to minimize odors associated with dirty diapers.
2. What Does the Best Diaper Pail Do?
A diaper pail helps to minimize the smell from dirty diapers. If you use a regular trash can, which you could, then you are subjecting yourself to the smell of dirty diapers every time you enter the room.
3. How Does a Diaper Pail Work?
Most diaper pails include some sort of odor blocking protection whether that be a lever, seal, or lid. This keeps diaper odors from leaking out into the room/nursery.
4. Where Can You Buy Them?
You can buy diaper pails at any big-box stores like Walmart or Target, at baby equipment and clothing stores like Buy Buy Baby or Once Upon a Child, or through online retailers like Amazon.
5. Are Diaper Pails Necessary?
Diaper pails are not necessary. Diapers can be thrown away in any trashcan. However, regular trashcans do not include odor blocking mechanisms to keep dirty diaper odors at bay. So in order to keep your house smelling fresh and not like dirty diapers, diaper pails are imperative.
How We Reviewed
Image via Flickr
After researching through several reputable parenting review sites, we have compiled a list of the 10 best diaper pails. In order to compile this list of best diaper pails, we used factors such as pros and cons, key features, and price.
What We Reviewed
- Munchkin Step Diaper Pail w/Arm & Hammer
- Safety 1st Diaper Pail
- Dekor Classic Diaper Pail
- Tommee Tippee Simplee Diaper Pail
- Playtex Diaper Genie Expressions Diaper Pail
- The Diaper One N Done
- Dekor Plus Diaper Disposal System
- Playtex Diaper Genie Essentials Diaper Pail
- Ubbi Diaper Pail
- Baby Trend Diaper Champ Deluxe Pail
- Proven #1 in odor control, Step Diaper Pail keeps your nursery fresh
- Awarded 2020 Best Overall Diaper Pail by the Good Housekeeping Institute
- Patented self-sealing system keeps odors contained whether lid is open or closed
This diaper pail from Munchkin contains a self -sealing system that keeps away the smell from the bag when it is opened. It also helps keep the room/nursery fresh by including a refillable baking soda puck that sprinkles baking soda into the bag each time a diaper is thrown away. Many parents love the fact that removing the bag is easy because of the step-lever located on the bottom of the pail. This allows the person removing the trash to use both arms to pull the bag out.
However, some parents have found that their hand can get caught in the self-sealing system whenever they push the diapers down into it. You also have to buy specific bags and baking soda pucks, making this option a bit pricier if used for a longer time period.
- Self-sealing system to keep odors from escaping the pail
- Baking soda puck that keeps room smelling fresh
- Step-lever for easy removal
- Hand can get stuck in the self-sealing system
- Pricier due to specific bags and baking soda pucks
- Easy 1 hand use
- Uses standard plastic bags
- Dorizer disc included; Replacement discs sold separately (23900); Warning: proposition 65 reasons: Titanium dioxide, other chemicals
The Safety 1st diaper pail allows users to make use of any type of liner and can hold up to 13-gallon kitchen trash bags. The lid of the pail also contains a small hatch that can be removed when disposing of diapers instead of taking off the entire lid. The lid can entirely come off to remove the bags from the pail. However, because of the price of this pail, it is not one of the better-looking pails and looks pretty cheap.
- Cheap price
- Hatch in lid for easy diaper disposal
- Can accommodate any type of liner
- Lid comes entirely off for easy bag disposal
- Looks cheap
- Totally Hands-Free: Step, Drop, Done! No Bending, No Twisting, No Squishing, Unlike Ordinary Pails!
- Most Cost-Effective Diaper Pail Refill System on the Market. Dekor Refill System Creates Less Waste - Use ONLY What You Need!
- Effective Triple Odor Control Keeps the Smell in the Pail
This brand of pail comes in three different sizes: classic, plus, and mini. Disposing of diapers is hands-free with this diaper pail because it makes use of a system that includes a trap door and a foot pedal which are also child proof to keep children from getting their hands caught. Another layer of odor protection comes from the scented bags that are used to line this pail.
However, some reviewers have noticed that the trap door is only effective if the diaper is heavy enough to push it in. If the diaper is not heavy enough, the trap door will not open, and the user has to push the diaper through. Other parents have also found that replacing the liners can be tricky.
- Comes in different sizes
- Hands-free diaper disposal
- Uses scented bags for odor protection
- Trapdoor is not always effective
- It is difficult to replace liners
- Multi-layer film and smart seal lid deodorizes and blocks all odors
- Diaper bag film contains anti-bacterial ingredient that kills 99% of germs
- This diaper pail set comes with four refill cartridges
One feature that stands out among the rest is the antibacterial liners that are used in the Tommee Tippee Simplee diaper pail. These liners can kill up to 99% of germs and can hold about 18 diapers at a time and each cartridge can hold up to 180 diapers. However, many reviewers have found that you have to push the diaper through the hole in the lid which is unsanitary and that it is difficult to remove bags because it is not hands-free.
- Antibacterial liners that kill 99% of germs
- Holds a large number of dirty diapers
- Difficult to dispose of diapers sanitarily
- Difficult to remove full liners from the pail
- EASILY CONTROLS ODORS - The double secure odor lock diaper disposal system with the Push-N-Lock clamp helps prevent odors from escaping to keep your nursery smelling fresh and stink-free.
- “DOUBLE-DOOTY” ODOR DEFENSE - Built durable, the diaper pail refill bags feature 7 layers that work together to lock-in odors, messes and germs for the ultimate odor protection.
- SIMPLE AND CONVENIENT- Easy, one-handed design makes throwing out dirty diapers convenient by simply opening the push button lid so you can perfect the balancing act of baby in one hand and diaper in the other.
This pail includes a customizable sleeve to match any nursery color/theme. It is not only stylish, but it also includes a seven-layer odor block seal that opens when the diaper is pushed through for easy diaper disposal. However, most reviewers did not like this feature as it made for an unsanitary situation if any of the diaper’s contents came out while pushing it through the spring-loaded door.
- Seven layer odor block seal
- Unsanitary to push full diaper through the seal
- Easy to use Diaper Pail
- Individual diapers are sealed
- Frame can hang from a changing table or stand alone on a table top.
This pail only holds one diaper. Each diaper is sealed into its own odor sealing bag and can be thrown away into any trash can.
- Allows diapers to be disposed into any trashcan
- Comes with odor sealing bags
- Only holds one diaper
- Hands-Free Disposal: Simply step on the pedal and the lid opens
- Minimizes Odors: Unique trap door design prevents odors from escaping into your nursery
- Contemporary Design: Use anywhere in your home or as regular garbage can after diapers are done.
This pail comes in 5 different colors and has a foot pedal for hands-free opening. This pail requires its own special liners that have a powder scent to block out odors. It also includes a trap door that opens when a dirty diaper is laid down on it to dispose of dirty diapers without having to push them through the system. However, reviewers have found that replacing the bags can be tricky and the trap door is not effective if the diaper is not heavy enough to open it.
- Comes in several colors
- Hands-free for easy disposal
- Powdery scented liners for odor blocking
- Trapdoor system to dispose of diapers
- Ineffective trap door
- Replacing liners is tricky
- ALL IN ONE DIAPER PAIL - Diaper Genie’s ultimate diaper disposal system controls odors and makes changing your baby’s dirty diapers a breeze. Our tallest pail requires no bending with a foot pedal for easy, hygienic and hands-free opening.
- BUILT IN ANTIMICROBIAL - Upgrade your nursery with Diaper Genie. The Complete Pail includes built-in odor controlling Antimicrobial that inhibits bacteria growth on the pail.
- KEEP YOUR NURSERY FRESH - Unlike other pails without clamps, the Complete Pail features Double Air-Tite Clamps that works with the 7-layer diaper pail refill bags and carbon filter to add a layer of double dooty odor protection.
The feature that separates the Diaper Genie Complete from any other diaper pail is the “Push N Lock” clamp. With this feature, you can push the diaper down through the clamp into the pail and then it locks back, keeping the dirty diaper in the pail. The specific liners used for this pail can be cut off and tied allowing for better odor protection. However, many reviewers did not like the “Push N Lock” feature as the process can get rather unsanitary if diaper contents leaked out while trying to push the diaper through the clamp.
- “Push N Lock” feature keeps smelly odors in the pail
- Liners can be cut off and tied
- “Push N Lock” feature can become unsanitary
- SAVE MONEY – NO NEED TO BUY SPECIAL BAGS: No special bags, refills or inserts are required with the Ubbi diaper pail saving time and money unlike other pail on the market
- MOST AWARD WINNING DIAPER PAIL: The Ubbi diaper pail won NINE awards proving parents and experts approval
- STEEL LOCKS IN ODOR: Unlike plastic, steel is not porous and keeps the smell shielded inside
This pail is made from sleek still and comes in a variety of colors to match any nursery. Since it is made of steel, the pail itself does not absorb odors, which helps with keeping the nursery nice and fresh. It also does not require special bags and you can use trash bags you use elsewhere throughout the rest of the house which saves you money in the long run. The lid also has a childproof lock that keeps little ones from getting their fingers shut in the lid. However, reviewers did not like the fact that in order to dispose of diapers, you have to have one free hand open to open the slider.
- Comes in a variety of colors
- Does not require specific bags
- Made of steel that does not absorb odor
- Contains a childproof lid
- Not hands-free
- On the pricier side
- Superior Odor Control
- Easy to Use
- Large capacity holds up to 30 diapers
In order to dispose of a dirty diaper in this pail, one must rotate the handle to open it, then place the diaper onto the cup inside, and then turn the handle again to close it. It is a simple method as compared to some other diaper pails. However, many reviewers have found that leaking diapers can leave stains and odors on this pail because it is necessary to place the diaper onto it in order to dispose of it. It is also prone to jamming if the pail becomes too full so the user must check on the pail often to make sure it isn’t becoming too full.
- Easy disposal method
- Leaky diapers can leave stains and odors onto the pail
- Prone to jamming
In order to give you our list of best diaper pails, we looked at factors such as key features, pros and cons, and price. After reviewing these factors for each of the best diaper pails, we have come to the conclusion that the Safety 1st Diaper Pail is the best diaper pail. It is cheap and has a lot of key features and pros that its more expensive counterparts did not have—like a hatch in the lid for easy diaper disposal and a removable lid for easy liner disposal.
Featured image via Amazon
Last update on 2020-10-16 at 07:21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API