If you have ever struggled with a headache or have a headache right now, you know how debilitating they can be. Headaches of all types can make it extremely hard for one to carry out daily activities, focus, and feel confident at work. Headaches can show up for a variety of reasons, and while figuring out what is triggering your headache may be beneficial in preventing them, you probably want to know what you can do when a headache hits at that moment.
There are a lot of different headache medicines to choose from and choosing the best headache medicine highly depends on what is causing it.With all the different headache medications out there, it can be tricky trying to pick out the perfect one for you and your symptoms. Some medicines can work for numerous headaches while others are better suited for a specific type of headache.
If you are trying to figure out which headache medicine is the best, you are in the right place. After reading this article, you will know what headache medicine is, how it works, where you can get it, the ingredients in headache medicines, and the top 10 list of the best headache medicine. After reading this list, you will feel confident in choosing the best headache medicine for you and can start feeling better fast!
Best Headache Medicine FAQ
1. What is Headache Medicine?
Headache medicine works to heal head pain caused by tension headaches, migraines, and other types of headaches. The most popular pain relievers are over the counter and do not need a prescription from a doctor. There are a variety of different medicines out there with different active ingredients, and some combine a few together for a powerful blend. There are also all-natural headache medicines out there for those who do not want to take over-the-counter medication.
Some medications are better suited for different types of headaches. If you are looking for the best headache medicine for you, first determine what type of headache you have and go from there.
2. What Does the Best Headache Medicine Do?
The best headache medicine will relieve pain caused from various types of headaches quickly and over a long period of time. As previously mentioned, some headache medicine is specifically designed for certain types of headaches, such as migraines. If your headache is due to having an illness that is paired with a fever, the best headache medicine in that scenario would help with the fever as well. If you have a headache that is from tension, you may benefit from medicine that has anti-inflammatory relief. The best headache medicine will be able to help you with the most amount of symptoms at once.
3. Where Can You Buy the Best Headache Medicine?
You can find headache medicine at a variety of places online and in stores. Some examples of stores you could find headache medicine would be retail stores, such as Wal Mart or medicine shops such as Walgreens. You can also easily and conveniently purchase headache medicine online from Amazon, which is where we derived this list from.
4. What Kind of Active Ingredients are in Headache Medicine?
One active ingredient you may find in a headache medicine is Acetaminophen. Acetaminophen is known to relieve headaches, aches and pains, and also helps to reduce fevers. It is not an anti-inflammatory agent, so it will not reduce swelling and inflammation. Aspirin is another popular choice for headache medicine and helps to reduce mild to moderate headaches. Ibuprofen and Naproxen are similar active ingredients and are both known to help with more severe headache pain. Aside from the painkillers, there are also aromatherapy options for those who are looking for an all-natural pain reliever.
5. What Types of Headaches Can Headache Medicine Relieve?
Headache medicine will relieve just about any type of headache you may have. One of the most common types of headaches is tension headaches, which are typically caused by stress. Headache medicines work great to help reduce pain and inflammation that comes with tension headaches. Migraines are another common type of headache that can be extremely painful and make it hard to focus on day-to-day activities. Over-the-counter headache medicines will often help to bring relief, but if the headaches continue, you may want to see a doctor.
Headache medicine also relieves other types of headaches such as hormone headaches, caffeine headaches, exertion headaches, and hypertension headaches.
How We Reviewed
In order to create the best list possible, we took a look at all the most commonly used headache medications and reviewed them based on their effectiveness, types of headaches they relieve, and other symptoms they relieve in addition to your headache. We wanted there to be options for anyone in need of a headache reliever, so we included other options than just pill form. No matter what kind of headache you get, what symptoms are accompanying your headache, and whether or not you prefer pill form, there is something for you on this list.
What We Reviewed
Best Headache Medicine
- RELIEVE PAIN AND REDUCE FEVER: Whether you have occasional muscle aches, backaches, minor arthritis pain, or other aches and pains, Advil stops pain at the site of inflammation so you can get relief where you need it
- PAIN RELIEF: Advil Coated Tablets contain 200mg of Ibuprofen Tough headache, minor arthritis, menstrual cramps, backache, and other pains don’t stand a chance against Advil
- UNBEATABLE STRENGTH: Millions of people choose Advil as their medicine for powerful pain relief Use as a fever reducer and to help alleviate common pain symptoms including headache, backache, toothache and pain caused by the common cold
Key features of this product include its ability to reduce fevers as well as inflammation and swelling. Some other pain relievers can put you at risk if you go out in the sun, but Advil is safe to take if you plan on being outside. If you are someone who has a hard time taking medicine because of taste, reviewers have stated that this option is a better tasting alternative compared to some others.
- Aleve is Proven Stronger* & Longer on Pain than Tylenol *Based on clinical data from the first six hours after initial dosing.
- Just Two pills for all day pain relief. Each pill has the strength to last 12 hours.
- Aleve is the #1 Orthopedic Surgeon Recommended OTC brand for minor arthritis pain.
Key features of this product include being one of the longest lasting pain relievers, claiming that one pill can last 4 hours longer than Advil. The oval pill capsules are small and easy to swallow, and you only need one. Aleve is also is a good option if you need to reduce inflammation and swelling.
- 225-count Tylenol Rapid Release Gels with acetaminophen work fast to temporarily relieve minor aches and pains and help reduce fever
- Each gelcap features unique, laser-drilled holes to quickly release medicine and contains 500 mg of acetaminophen for fast, effective extra strength pain relief
- Use as a fever reducer and to help treat minor aches and pains including headache, backache, toothache, cramps and pain caused by the common cold
Key features of this product include its unique, tiny holes placed throughout each capsule in order to deliver the pain relief more quickly and 500 mg of acetaminophen for better pain relief. If you have a fever, Tylenol works to help reduce that as well.
Key features of this product include its anti-inflammatory properties that relieve a mild to severe headache. Aspirin, the main active ingredient found in Bayer, is also known to reduce your risk of a heart attack, which is just an added benefit.
- Limited edition packaging, while supplies last
- One bottle of 200 Excedrin Extra Strength Headache Relief Caplets with fast-acting formula
- Relieves symptoms associated with headaches, colds, and menstrual cramps
Key features of this product include the powerful combination of two pain relievers and an amplifier that can deliver pain relief to even a severe headache. Many people have said they get pain relief in as little as just 15 minutes. The small amount of caffeine added will help those who have headaches such as migraines.
- HEADACHE RELIEF AROMATHERAPY - This cooling temple rub is rich with soothing botanical extracts and including our favorite, super-concentrated Menthol Crystals: the essence of mint created by a freezing process.
- LAVENDER & MENTHOL ESSENTIAL OILS - In traditional aromatherapy, Eucalyptus and Peppermint are stimulating and refreshing, Lavender supports balance and calm, and Mandarin is uplifting.
- PORTABLE & CONVENIENT - This portable aromatherapy balm promotes calm and a sense of relaxed well-being, and helps to clear and cool sinuses.
Key features of this product include its convenient and portable container that brings aromatherapy on the go. This is a great option for those who suffer from mild-to-moderate headaches and want to take an all-natural approach.
- Temporarily relieves minor aches and pains due to: headaches, minor arthritis pain, muscle aches, colds, toothache, menstrual cramps, and backache
- Mixed Fruit Blast flavor that is easy to swallow
- Convenient packaging; easy to take
Key features of this product include its powder dissolve formula that works quickly to relieve pain and the different flavors you can opt for such as mixed fruit blast and orange. With two active ingredients and an amplifier, this is a powerful headache relief option that works especially well for those who prefer not to take medicine in a pill form.
There are many types of headache medicines you can choose from if you struggle with headaches. Headache medicine typically comes over-the-counter and does not require a prescription from a doctor. Depending on what is triggering the headache, the best headache medicine for you may differ from the best headache medicine for someone who has a different type of headache or trigger.
If you are struggling with a tension headache, we highly recommend either Advil or Aleve for their powerful anti-inflammatory agents. If you have a headache that is accompanied by a fever, Tylenol would be a good option to relieve pain and reduce your fever. For more extreme headaches, we recommend Excedrin because of the powerful combination of pain relievers and its amplifier, caffeine. Excedrin is a popular choice for those who struggle with migraines.
If you get headaches frequently, you may have to try out a few different options in order to determine which is the best headache medicine for you. We are confident that you can find a great solution from our list of best headache medicines.
Featured Image via Pixabay