We all love sunshine, but those of us with sensitive skin know you can have too much of a good thing. This is even more relevant with babies who have delicate and sensitive skin. Your baby’s skin needs to protected from harm and should never be exposed to the sun for long periods, which is why you’ll want to look into the best sunscreen for babies under 6 months.
1. Does My Baby Need Sunscreen?
The short answer to this is yes. Babies and young children have delicate skin that is easily damaged by the UVA and UVB rays of the sun, so they need to be protected from over-exposure to sunlight with clothing, screens, or sunscreen. Their skin will become less delicate as they grow.
2. Isn’t Sunshine Good for Babies?
We’re not saying that sunshine isn’t a good thing or that you should never let your baby get a glimpse of sunlight. Doctors sometimes recommend parents expose their babies to the sun if they have jaundice or other mild medical conditions. Sunlight also helps the body to make vitamin D which aids the body in absorbing calcium for strong bones and teeth—particularly important in a growing baby.
3. Is There Special Sunscreen for Babies under 6 Months?
There is! Whereas regular sunscreens for adults use both chemical and mineral formulas to protect the skin, the best sunscreen for babies under 6 months will probably use a purely mineral formula to avoid causing irritation to your baby’s skin. Chemical sunscreens soak into your skin and absorb the UVA and UVB rays from the sun, but can also cause irritation.
However, mineral-based sunscreens are made with ingredients that sit on your skin and act like millions of tiny mirrors to reflect the majority of the sun’s rays before they are absorbed by the skin. Therefore, we recommend mineral sunscreens rather than chemical ones as the best sunscreen for babies under 6 months.
4. Is Sunscreen Safe for My Baby?
Yes. The best sunscreen for babies under 6 months will be safe for your baby, and should ideally be specifically formulated for your baby’s skin to prevent irritation. The main ingredient in many of these sunscreens is the mineral zinc oxide, which has soothing properties besides its sun-screening ability.
5. What If My Baby Has Eczema or Especially Sensitive Skin?
Even if your baby has highly sensitive skin, you are likely to find some good options for the best sunscreen for babies under 6 months. Many brands have versions designed for babies with eczema or other skin issues. However, babies with extremely sensitive skin should be protected from sunlight by covering their stroller with a fine muslin cloth or investing in some cute baby bonnets. Their skin is likely to get less sensitive as they grow older.
6. Where Can I Buy the Best Sunscreen for Babies under 6 Months?
Sunscreen for babies can be purchased in many places including grocery stores, drug stores, and from online retailers such as Amazon.com.
How We Reviewed
To find the best sunscreen for babies under 6 months, we researched the many options for sunscreen and consulted with doctors, nurses, and parents on the subject. After thorough research, we had our list of the top ten sunscreens. From there, we reviewed each one based on features, pricing, availability, pros, and cons.
Overall Price Range of This Product (and Similar Products)
These products range in price from around $ up to $. Please note these products come in varying sizes.
What We Reviewed
- 86% Certified Organic Ingredient Formula
- 25% Non-nano Zinc Oxide Active Ingredient, Broad-spectrum, 97% UV protection (SPF 32)
- Baby and Child Safe with just 8 ingredients
This sunscreen is specially formulated for babies and children and has just eight ingredients. It is made with an 86% organic ingredient formula. It is also biodegradable, vegan, and safe for use in protected aquatic parks, so it will suit the eco-conscious parent and their baby. It is also fragrance-free, gluten-free, and corn-free, making it suitable for babies with allergies and sensitive skin.
- [ 100% NATURALLY SOURCED & NO NASTIES ] Naturally sourced physical sunscreen ingredients and free of parabens and sulfates
- [ ESSENTIAL CERAMIDES ] Formulated with with three essential ceramides (1, 3, 6-II) that help restore and maintain its natural protective barrier
- [ BROAD SPECTRUM ] Protect baby's delicate skin from sun's damaging UVA and UVB rays
This baby sunscreen is not only made from 100% naturally sourced ingredients but is also free from parabens and sulfates. The formula is hypoallergenic, non-irritating, and fragrance-free to avoid irritating the skin of your baby. It contains ceramides to help and maintain the skin’s natural barrier. This sunscreen is water resistant for 80 minutes, meaning you can spend time in the sun with your precious little one in the pool or at the beach without having to worry that the protection against UVA and UVB rays will be washed away.
- DAILY USE FOR ALL AGES - Gentle, moisturizing formula can be used as part of your daily skin care routine and is gentle enough for kids.
- SPF 30+ BROAD-SPECTRUM PROTECTION - With a sole active ingredient of 23% Non-Nano Zinc Oxide, our Face + Body Lotion 30+ provides UVA-UVB true broad-spectrum coverage
This is one of EWG’s most popular sunscreens, which is hardly surprising given it is a large-coverage sunscreen that is still gentle enough to be used on the skin of children and babies. The formula contains 97% certified organic ingredients and 100% certified natural ingredients. It is also free of gluten, soy, and nuts, making it perfect for kids with allergies. Users loved how moisturizing the formula was for their babies’ skin.
- UVA/UVB broad protection SPF 60, water resistant 80 minutes
- With antioxidants and Vitamin E
- Gentle kids sunscreen developed for children's sensitive skin
The La Roche-Posay Anthelios Kids Sunscreen is as natural as possible while still providing effective protection. Developed with dermatologists, this sunscreen is lightweight and free of parabens and fragrances. It’s also water resistant for 80 minutes and provides broad-spectrum protection for your little one. It also contains antioxidants and vitamin E to help protect the skin.
- First sunscreen to pass Whole Foods Premium Care requirements
- EWG rated "1" since 2010.
- Mineral-based sunscreen, free of biologically harmful chemicals, no avobenzone, oxybenzone, or UV chemical absorbers
This sunscreen was the first to pass Whole Foods’ Premium Care standards and has been highly rated ever since, winning Allure’s “Best of” award and accolades from the Sun Safety Coalition. The cream is not oily and contains zinc oxide in a safe formula. It is free of parabens and phthalates and offers lasting coverage across the whole spectrum for 80 minutes, even in water.
- Pediatrician recommended and designed for precious and snuggly-soft skin
- No skin-irritating fragrances or parabens
- Water resistant for 40 minutes
This sunscreen comes recommended by pediatricians and is designed to suit sensitive baby skin. The has a zinc oxide base and is made with no irritating chemicals to protect your baby’s skin from UVA and UVB rays. This sunscreen was developed in Australia where the sun is a serious everyday concern. Australia has the world’s most stringent sunscreen safety standards, and this is evident in Blue Lizard. This formula is developed with doctors and is mineral-based, clean, and safe. It has been recommended by doctors and pediatricians for decades.
- ORIGINAL SPROUT FACE & BODY SUNSCREEN. This natural and worry-free Face & Body Sunscreen is made with Zinc Oxide 10%. Winner of the Babbles Best Sunscreen Award, this money-saving sunscreen will protect skin and the planet.
- FOR SENSITIVE SKIN. Effective for all skin types, Original Sprouts Face & Body Sunscreen is non-greasy and noninvasive for even the most dry, sensitive, or acne-prone skin and can be used on the whole family.
- SAFE, EFFECTIVE TESTED. Staying healthy and beautiful is easy with Original Sprout. The company is dedicated to using ingredients that are vegan, gluten free, and free of hormone disruptors.Each product is dermatologist tested, non-allergenic and hypoallergenic.
Like others on this list, Sprout sunscreen is made with safe forms of zinc oxide and is formulated to work on sensitive skin. It is even safe for dry skin or skin prone to outbreaks of acne, meaning the whole family can use it. Every ingredient is 100% natural and free of any hormone disrupters or anything that might cause an issue such as gluten. Original Sprout makes their sunscreen in America with chemists devoted to the safety of children and the environment.
- Broad spectrum protection from UVA & UVB rays using the safe mineral Zinc Oxide - No oxybenzone, octinoxate, or other chemical active sunscreening agents.
- Water resistant for at least 40 minutes. Certified Organic base of Sunflower Oil, Beeswax & Vitamin E is ultra-moisturizing and soothing.
- Pediatrician tested & approved safe for babies & kids. Hypoallergenic - safe for sensitive skin.
This sunscreen is from a well-respected company. It is made of all-natural and organic ingredients and is resistant to water for up to 40 minutes. It includes lots of things designed to protect and nourish the skin, like beeswax and vitamin E. It is certified hypoallergenic and is free of phthalates and many chemicals. The tube is made of biodegradable, recycled plastic and is safe for coral and other ocean life.
Goddess Garden produces organic sunscreens for different ages of children, and this version is formulated with the most delicate and sensitive skin in mind. It is made with organic ingredients like aloe vera and sunflower oil to soothe and moisturize the skin. It offers factor 30 UVA and UVB protection and is water resistant for 40 minutes, which means it’s perfect if you want to go to the beach or the pool with your baby. The formula is reef-safe, vegan, and cruelty-free.
- Baby safe, mineral sunscreen. Active ingredient = Titanium dioxide.
- Highly rated for ingredient safety by Environmental Working Group (EWG) for the past 9 years
- FORMULATED FOR SENSITIVE SKIN: contains naturally based and organic ingredients, no added fragrance, is allergy tested, gluten-free, soy-free, oat-free, dairy-free, and nut-free (except coconut)
This mineral formula sunscreen is free of any extra ingredients that may cause allergy or skin irritation, making it a serious contender in the competition for the best sunscreen for babies under 6 months. It is made with gentle, eco-friendly ingredients, and is highly rated for use by both adults and children. The formula is free of soy, oats, gluten, dairy, and all nuts except coconuts, making it ideal for babies and adults with allergies.
All of these candidates make a strong play for the title of the best sunscreen for babies under 6 months. However, we recommend the Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen above the others on this list. Not only is it environmentally friendly and free of nasty chemicals but it was also developed by doctors and comes recommended by many pediatricians.
We hope you have found our top-ten list of the best sunscreen for babies under 6 months helpful in choosing a sunscreen you can trust to protect your precious baby’s skin.