We all love sunshine, but those of us with sensitive skin know you can have too much of a good thing. This is even more relevant with babies who have delicate and sensitive skin. Your baby’s skin needs to protected from harm and should never be exposed to the sun for long periods, which is why you’ll want to look into the best sunscreen for babies under 6 months.
1. Does My Baby Need Sunscreen?
The short answer to this is yes. Babies and young children have delicate skin that is easily damaged by the UVA and UVB rays of the sun, so they need to be protected from over-exposure to sunlight with clothing, screens, or sunscreen. Their skin will become less delicate as they grow.
2. Isn’t Sunshine Good for Babies?
We’re not saying that sunshine isn’t a good thing or that you should never let your baby get a glimpse of sunlight. Doctors sometimes recommend parents expose their babies to the sun if they have jaundice or other mild medical conditions. Sunlight also helps the body to make vitamin D which aids the body in absorbing calcium for strong bones and teeth—particularly important in a growing baby.
3. Is There Special Sunscreen for Babies under 6 Months?
There is! Whereas regular sunscreens for adults use both chemical and mineral formulas to protect the skin, the best sunscreen for babies under 6 months will probably use a purely mineral formula to avoid causing irritation to your baby’s skin. Chemical sunscreens soak into your skin and absorb the UVA and UVB rays from the sun, but can also cause irritation.
However, mineral-based sunscreens are made with ingredients that sit on your skin and act like millions of tiny mirrors to reflect the majority of the sun’s rays before they are absorbed by the skin. Therefore, we recommend mineral sunscreens rather than chemical ones as the best sunscreen for babies under 6 months.
4. Is Sunscreen Safe for My Baby?
Yes. The best sunscreen for babies under 6 months will be safe for your baby, and should ideally be specifically formulated for your baby’s skin to prevent irritation. The main ingredient in many of these sunscreens is the mineral zinc oxide, which has soothing properties besides its sun-screening ability.
5. What If My Baby Has Eczema or Especially Sensitive Skin?
Even if your baby has highly sensitive skin, you are likely to find some good options for the best sunscreen for babies under 6 months. Many brands have versions designed for babies with eczema or other skin issues. However, babies with extremely sensitive skin should be protected from sunlight by covering their stroller with a fine muslin cloth or investing in some cute baby bonnets. Their skin is likely to get less sensitive as they grow older.
6. Where Can I Buy the Best Sunscreen for Babies under 6 Months?
Sunscreen for babies can be purchased in many places including grocery stores, drug stores, and from online retailers such as Amazon.com.
How We Reviewed
To find the best sunscreen for babies under 6 months, we researched the many options for sunscreen and consulted with doctors, nurses, and parents on the subject. After thorough research, we had our list of the top ten sunscreens. From there, we reviewed each one based on features, pricing, availability, pros, and cons.
What We Reviewed
- Green Screen Organic Sunscreen SPF 32 Original
- CeraVe Mineral Baby Sunscreen SPF 45
- Raw Elements Face and Body Certified Natural Sunscreen
- La Roche-Posay Anthelios Kids Sunscreen for Face and Body SPF 60
- Thinkbaby Safe Sunscreen SPF 50+
- Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen – Baby Sunscreen SPF 30+
- Original Sprout Face & Body Sunscreen Natural and Non-Greasy Sunscreen
- Baby Sunscreen Cream by Badger
- Goddess Garden Organics Baby SPF 30 Natural Sunscreen
- California Baby Super Sensitive SPF 30
- 86% Certified Organic Ingredient Formula
- 25% Non-nano Zinc Oxide Active Ingredient, Broad-spectrum, 97% UV protection (SPF 32)
- Baby and Child Safe with just 8 ingredients
This sunscreen is specially formulated for babies and children and has just eight ingredients. It is made with an 86% organic ingredient formula. It is also biodegradable, vegan, and safe for use in protected aquatic parks, so it will suit the eco-conscious parent and their baby. It is also fragrance-free, gluten-free, and corn-free, making it suitable for babies with allergies and sensitive skin.
- Majority of ingredients are organic
- Fragrance-free, gluten-free, corn-free, and chemical-free
- Takes a lot of time to absorb into the skin
- Leaves skin looking white
- Relatively expensive
- [ BROAD SPECTRUM UVA UVB PROTECTION ] 100% Mineral based sunscreen, or physical sunscreen, reflects UVA/UVB rays to help protect skin. Formulated with zinc oxide and titanium dioxide to be gentle on baby's delicate skin. Water resistant (80 minutes)
- [ HYDRATING BABY SUNSCREEN ] Formulated with Hyaluronic Acid to retain skin's natural moisture and Niacinamide to help calm skin
- [ ESSENTIAL CERAMIDES ] Ceramides are found naturally in the skin and make up 50% of the lipids in the skin barrier. All CeraVe products are formulated with three essential ceramides (1, 3, 6-II) to help restore and maintain the skin’s natural barrier
This baby sunscreen is not only made from 100% naturally sourced ingredients but is also free from parabens and sulfates. The formula is hypoallergenic, non-irritating, and fragrance-free to avoid irritating the skin of your baby. It contains ceramides to help and maintain the skin’s natural barrier. This sunscreen is water resistant for 80 minutes, meaning you can spend time in the sun with your precious little one in the pool or at the beach without having to worry that the protection against UVA and UVB rays will be washed away.
- 100% naturally sourced ingredients
- Hypoallergenic and fragrance-free
- Contains ceramides
- Water resistant
- Feels greasy
- May still irritate
- EWG TOP-RATED SUNSCREEN – Performance-driven face and body sun protection lasts up to 80 minutes and does not run or sting your eyes. Comes in a reusable, recyclable, plastic-free tin.
- DAILY USE FOR ALL AGES – Gentle, moisturizing formula can be used as part of your daily skin care routine and is gentle enough for kids.
- CERTIFIED ORGANIC INGREDIENTS NATURAL MINERAL SUNSCREEN – Soy, gluten and nut free, contains no synthetic chemicals and packed with nourishing antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, so your skin stays protected long after environmental exposure
This is one of EWG’s most popular sunscreens, which is hardly surprising given it is a large-coverage sunscreen that is still gentle enough to be used on the skin of children and babies. The formula contains 97% certified organic ingredients and 100% certified natural ingredients. It is also free of gluten, soy, and nuts, making it perfect for kids with allergies. Users loved how moisturizing the formula was for their babies’ skin.
- Free of gluten, soy, and nuts
- 97% organic
- Looks white on application
- Doesn’t smell great
- UVA/UVB broad protection SPF 60, water resistant 80 minutes
- With antioxidants and Vitamin E
- Gentle kids sunscreen developed for children's sensitive skin
The La Roche-Posay Anthelios Kids Sunscreen is as natural as possible while still providing effective protection. Developed with dermatologists, this sunscreen is lightweight and free of parabens and fragrances. It’s also water resistant for 80 minutes and provides broad-spectrum protection for your little one. It also contains antioxidants and vitamin E to help protect the skin.
- Works well
- Keeps the skin smooth and protected
- Water resistant
- Can get into eyes
- Leaves skin slightly shiny
- Can stain clothing
- FIRST TO PASS - Whole Foods Premium Care requirements & Top-Rated by EWG in 2010 with a #1 Rating
- NO BIOLOGICALLY HARMFUL CHEMICALS - Paraben/PABA Free, Vegan, Safe for Infants, Toddlers & the Earth
- HIGHEST WATER RESISTANCE - Per the FDA, with Broad Spectrum Coverage UVA & UVB Coverage for Babies
This sunscreen was the first to pass Whole Foods’ Premium Care standards and has been highly rated ever since, winning Allure’s “Best of” award and accolades from the Sun Safety Coalition. The cream is not oily and contains zinc oxide in a safe formula. It is free of parabens and phthalates and offers lasting coverage across the whole spectrum for 80 minutes, even in water.
- Does not stain clothes
- Does not whiten skin
- Doesn’t smell
- Works effectively
- Can dry the skin
- Some allergic reactions have been noted
- WE LOVE THE REEF – To help protect delicate coral reefs, our Baby sunscreen contains no Oxybenzone or Octinoxate
- MINERAL SUNSCREEN, NO CHEMICAL ACTIVE INGREDIENTS – Protects your skin by acting like thousands of tiny mirrors that reflect UV rays away before they enter your body
- DERMATOLOGIST-RECOMMENDED BROAD SPECTRUM UVA/UVB SPF 30+ – Mineral active Zinc Oxide provides true broad spectrum protection
This sunscreen comes recommended by pediatricians and is designed to suit sensitive baby skin. The has a zinc oxide base and is made with no irritating chemicals to protect your baby’s skin from UVA and UVB rays. This sunscreen was developed in Australia where the sun is a serious everyday concern. Australia has the world’s most stringent sunscreen safety standards, and this is evident in Blue Lizard. This formula is developed with doctors and is mineral-based, clean, and safe. It has been recommended by doctors and pediatricians for decades.
- No parabens, fragrances, or irritating chemicals
- Zinc oxide base
- Environmentally friendly
- Recommended by pediatricians
- Thick formula
- Some may not like the smell
- Healthy Ingredients
- Free of Hormone Disrupters
- Cruelty Free
Like others on this list, Sprout sunscreen is made with safe forms of zinc oxide and is formulated to work on sensitive skin. It is even safe for dry skin or skin prone to outbreaks of acne, meaning the whole family can use it. Every ingredient is 100% natural and free of any hormone disrupters or anything that might cause an issue such as gluten. Original Sprout makes their sunscreen in America with chemists devoted to the safety of children and the environment.
- Free of allergens and hormone disrupters
- Made in America
- Safe for all skin types
- Some people claim it does not work for them
- This sunscreen is more expensive than some others that work
- SIMPLY THE SAFEST SUNSCREEN FOR BABIES - Badger sets the standard for simple safe baby sunscreens that protect your infants and toddlers. This broad spectrum mineral sunscreen has only 7 simple ingredients: non-nano zinc oxide, organic sunflower oil, organic beeswax, sunflower vitamin E, organic chamomile, organic calendula, and organic seabuckthorn. Pediatrician tested, gluten-free & hypoallergenic this all-natural baby sunscreen is perfect for your babies delicate skin.
- PROTECTS WITH THE MINERAL ZINC OXIDE - Badger’s SPF 30 Baby Sunscreen Cream uses our original non-nano, large particle zinc oxide. This mineral stays on top of your baby's skin, scattering and absorbing UVA & UVB rays, and won’t absorb into their bloodstream. Naturally water and sweat resistant for at least 40 minutes it's perfect for the beach, pool, and light activities. The light chamomile & calendula scent is calming and relaxing.
- REEF SAFE SUNSCREEN - Safe for coral means safe for your baby too! Badger sunscreens are made without oxybenzone or any chemicals shown to harm coral or humans. All Badger sunscreen lotions and creams are top rated for safety and efficacy by the EWG sunscreen guide. This eco-friendly biodegradable mineral sunscreen protects you without endangering marine life.
This sunscreen is from a well-respected company. It is made of all-natural and organic ingredients and is resistant to water for up to 40 minutes. It includes lots of things designed to protect and nourish the skin, like beeswax and vitamin E. It is certified hypoallergenic and is free of phthalates and many chemicals. The tube is made of biodegradable, recycled plastic and is safe for coral and other ocean life.
- Zinc oxide base
- Organic and natural
- Skin-nourishing ingredients
- Does not last as long in the water as others
- May not work for some skin types
- Sunscreen Lotion
- Goddess Garden
Goddess Garden produces organic sunscreens for different ages of children, and this version is formulated with the most delicate and sensitive skin in mind. It is made with organic ingredients like aloe vera and sunflower oil to soothe and moisturize the skin. It offers factor 30 UVA and UVB protection and is water resistant for 40 minutes, which means it’s perfect if you want to go to the beach or the pool with your baby. The formula is reef-safe, vegan, and cruelty-free.
- Zinc oxide base
- No synthetic fragrances
- Formula is runny
- Tube may leak
- Premium Baby Lotion – Designed to help moisturize and hydrate soft, sensitive baby skin, our lotion can be used on hands, fingers, faces, and little bodies.
- Plant-based and Fragrance-Free –USDA Certified Biobased based -100%! Vegan formula contains plant-based and organic ingredients, our lotion for babies is free of gluten, soy, oats, dairy, or nuts (exception for coconut) for pure skin hydration.
- Relieve Dryness and Irritation – A smart way to help reduce the appearance of flakiness caused by dry, sensitive skin; use it after baths, diaper changes, or before bed.
This mineral formula sunscreen is free of any extra ingredients that may cause allergy or skin irritation, making it a serious contender in the competition for the best sunscreen for babies under 6 months. It is made with gentle, eco-friendly ingredients, and is highly rated for use by both adults and children. The formula is free of soy, oats, gluten, dairy, and all nuts except coconuts, making it ideal for babies and adults with allergies.
- Mineral-based formula
- Highly effective
- Gluten-free, soy-free, oat-free, dairy-free, and nut-free
- Difficult to rub in
- May stain clothes
All of these candidates make a strong play for the title of the best sunscreen for babies under 6 months. However, we recommend the Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen above the others on this list. Not only is it environmentally friendly and free of nasty chemicals but it was also developed by doctors and comes recommended by many pediatricians.
We hope you have found our top-ten list of the best sunscreen for babies under 6 months helpful in choosing a sunscreen you can trust to protect your precious baby’s skin.
Last update on 2020-10-16 at 11:21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API