Are you hoping to free up your hands as a busy mom? Then maybe a baby carrier is for you! Check out our favorite baby carriers in our article today. To get an in-depth review of each baby carrier, simply click on the individual review button below.
Here Are The Best Baby Carriers of 2018!
Infantino Flip 4-in-1 Convertible Carrier
BabySteps 6-IN-1 Ergonomic Baby Hip Seat Carrier
BABYBJORN Baby Carrier Original
4 in 1 Baby Wrap Carrier and Ring Sling by Kids N’ Such
Baby Wrap Ergo Carrier Sling
Moby Wrap Baby Carrier for Newborns + Toddlers Soft Baby Sling Baby Wrap
Evenflo Breathable Soft Carrier
MiaMily Hipster Child & Baby Front Carrier
TwinGo Original Baby Carrier
Types of Baby Carriers/Slings
Since there are different types of baby carriers and slings, it is important that you choose the right one. There are five types of baby slings. The types are Wraps, Ring Slings, Pouch Slings, Meh Dais, and Buckle Carriers.
Wraps are the most traditional and simple of all carriers. They come in lots of different lengths and fabrics. Since a wrap is just a long piece of fabric, they are machine washable. Wraps are simply tied on. After a couple times practicing, tying on is very simple and easy.
Ring Slings come with a pair of metal or nylon rings that are securely attached to the end of a fabric, which is usually two meters long. The end of the sling is threaded through the rings to adjust to the parent’s body. Because of the child’s weight, the rings will not slip.
A pouch sling is a simple tube of fabric worn over one shoulder. It is like a ring sling, but does not have the ability to adjust the size of the carrier. Therefore, it is hard to share between parents, and must be fitted correctly for safety and comfort.
The Chinese meh dai (pronounced “may tie” not “my tie”), is a traditional Asian-style baby carrier. Two shorter straps wrap around the waist and two longer straps go over the shoulders. They are often padded for extra comfort. Meh dai carriers are made for older babies and toddlers, but can be used for newborns as well.
Buckle carriers are probably the most popular baby carriers on the market today. They are made to go on and off like a backpack. Buckle carriers have adjustable straps, so that parents can get the right fit. If your baby is below a certain weight, you may need an infant insert. Most buckle carriers are good for newborns all the way up to toddlers.
Tips For Tying a Baby Sling
Try it on in front of a mirror
A mirror can help you see more angles as you tie on the sling. You will be able to see your side and even part of your back.
Make sure your baby is well-fed
A fussy baby will be harder to get into a sling than a calm baby. Make sure that your baby is well-fed instead of hungry when you try on a sling.
Check the diaper to see if it’s clean
Before you put your baby in a sling, make sure that the diaper is not soiled or wet. It will make for a much more pleasant experience for all involved if the diaper is clean.
Take your time
Make sure that you are not rushed and have plenty of time when tying on a sling.
Different Baby Sling Materials
Baby slings can be made out of all different types of materials. The materials range from natural substances such as cotton to synthetic fabrics. Most sling materials will be stretchy in nature.
Do You Need A Baby Carrier?
A baby carrier can be one of the best pieces of equipment to have around because you can soothe your baby next to your body while carrying out normal tasks. Most babies enjoy being carried around in a carrier. This enables the baby to be content while mom can do whatever mom wants to do. It’s a win-win situation for both the parent and baby. Whether it be doing laundry, going for a walk, sweeping the kitchen, or doing the dishes, a happy baby means mom can get tasks done.
Safety Tips For Baby Carriers
Read And Follow All Manufacturer’s Instructions
It may be tempting to skip the instructions that come with your carrier, but it is important to read them. Since all carriers are different, you will want to make sure that you are using the carrier correctly.
Make Sure You Can See The Baby’s Face At All Times
Do not cover your baby’s face with a blanket, sling fabric, nursing cover, or anything else that could suffocate your baby. Make sure that your baby does not press his/her face into your body.
Check Your Baby Often
It is important to check your baby often, especially if your baby is under 4 months old.
Consult Your Doctor
It is good to talk to your doctor about using a baby sling or carrier if your child was born with a low birth weight. Also consult an expert if your baby has respiratory illness or other respiratory problems.
How To Position Your Child In A Baby Carrier
A child can face with their face towards you or away from you in a baby carrier. Newborns should always face towards the parent. When a child reaches 5 to 6 months of age, they can then face outward.
When Should You Start Using A Baby Sling
Unless your baby is premature or has weak neck muscles, if used correctly, a newborn can be carried in a sling. Make sure to always leave the airways open so that the sling is not a suffocation hazard.
Main Features of Baby Carriers
When shopping for a baby carrier, it is important that you find the right one that fits your needs, as well as your baby’s needs. You will want to ensure that your baby is comfortable and in the correct position. Below I made a list of some features to look for in baby carriers.
Good Back Support
It is important that your baby’s developing neck and back have good support. An ergonomic carrier provides good support, as well as comfort.
Padded Headrest For Baby’s Head
A padded headrest will provide comfortable support for your baby’s head. If your baby is young, they won’t be able to hold their heads up. Therefore, it is nice to have a padded headrest.
Make sure that the straps are strong and durable. If they are not strong, they may not last as long. Also, consider your child’s weight and how long you will be carrying them. Strong straps are important for children that weigh more and are older.
Some baby slings have padded straps, which is nice for the parents. If you will be using the baby sling a lot, and want to be comfortable, padded straps are recommended.
Easy To Clean Carriers
Most baby slings are machine washable. Some carriers, however, can only be washed by hand. It is important for busy parents to choose carriers that take the least amount of time to wash.
- Design: 4-in-1 convertible carrier with adjustable ergonomic seat with adjustable shoulder straps and waist belt to shift weight to the wearers hips for a more comfortable fit
- Wearing positions: Convertible facing-in and facing-out design for newborns and older babies, weighing between 8-32 pounds
- Benefits and use: Experience hands-free convenience with opportunities for bonding and developmental benefits, whether it’s running errands or exploring parks, there’s no place like close
- Simple, no-guess tying instructions and just one size make this wrap your GO-TO BABY CARRIER for the first three months of parenthood <3 It was the first of its kind and the simplicity of the idea has kept moms and babies together for 10 years.
- Stretchy and SOFT, machine washable fabric that will keep your baby close. So much easier to clean than a stroller or carseat! You can machine wash and dry this wrap, making life just a little easier for new moms.
- ERGONOMIC seat for baby, ergonomic weight distribution for mom and dad! Each time you tie the wrap, you create a CUSTOM seat for your baby. Knee to knee support every time!
- HANDS FREE BABYWEARING: Keep newborn babies, preemies and infants close while you go about your day. Our unique baby wrap design also supports your best position for easy breastfeeding on the go.
- SIMPLE DESIGN: The Baby K'tan baby wrap is quick and easy to wear - no rings, belts, buckles or excess fabric. This infant carrier is the no-wrap wrap! Just slip the sling over your head like a t-shirt.
- COMPLETE COMFORT: Made from 100% cotton, our baby carrier allows even weight distribution, and the breathable fabric is soft against baby skin. Not bulky or frilly - ideal for both moms and dads.
- 【Revolutionary Baby Carrier】New upgraded design-Foldable Hip Seat With Large Lumbar Support. Made with BREATHABLE 3D mesh to keep you from overheating. IDEAL REGISTRY item to support a baby from infancy through the toddler years.
- 【0-180°adjustable Hip Seat】Adjustable hip seat carrier changes babies’ sitting posture and center of gravity, making them stable and comfortable to sit while traditional hip seat doesn’t allow you to adjust angles.
- 【Larger Lumbar Support Design 】Comfortable lumbar support–Extend pressure on the lower part of the back upwards so as to disperse pressure and protect the fragile lumbar vertebra of lactating women, no pressure after long-term wearing and save energy.
- 🎐【Excellent Material】-FRUITEAM Baby Carrier uses 100% high quality cotton, soft and close to the skin, protecting the baby's delicate skin from harm, bringing the baby the gentlest care
- 🔮【One Size Fits All】-FRUITEAM 6-in-1 Baby Carrier is suitable for children aged 0-36months and weighing 22lb-40lb, and according to the different ages of children, there are also suitable methods for reference, only to protect the baby's healthy development
- 🛍 【Hands Free】-Parents can safely use FRUITEAM Baby Carrier for their baby; and they can free their hands to take other items, and also prevent the baby from accidents and protect the baby at all times
I hope that this helped you to understand the differences between slings, carriers, and wraps. Even though they are different, they share a common trait and that is that you will get to wear your baby as you go about daily tasks. Baby wearing has many benefits for both the parent and baby. I hope that by taking the time to look over our product table, you will be able to find a sling, wrap, or carrier that is the perfect fit for your child!
Last update on 2020-10-16 at 07:21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API