Are you hoping to free up your hands as a busy mom? Then maybe a baby carrier is for you! Check out our favorite baby carriers in our article today. To get an in-depth review of each baby carrier, simply click on the individual review button below.
Here Are The Best Baby Carriers of 2018!
Infantino Flip 4-in-1 Convertible Carrier
BabySteps 6-IN-1 Ergonomic Baby Hip Seat Carrier
BABYBJORN Baby Carrier Original
4 in 1 Baby Wrap Carrier and Ring Sling by Kids N’ Such
Baby Wrap Ergo Carrier Sling
Moby Wrap Baby Carrier for Newborns + Toddlers Soft Baby Sling Baby Wrap
Evenflo Breathable Soft Carrier
MiaMily Hipster Child & Baby Front Carrier
TwinGo Original Baby Carrier
Types of Baby Carriers/Slings
Since there are different types of baby carriers and slings, it is important that you choose the right one. There are five types of baby slings. The types are Wraps, Ring Slings, Pouch Slings, Meh Dais, and Buckle Carriers.
Wraps are the most traditional and simple of all carriers. They come in lots of different lengths and fabrics. Since a wrap is just a long piece of fabric, they are machine washable. Wraps are simply tied on. After a couple times practicing, tying on is very simple and easy.
Ring Slings come with a pair of metal or nylon rings that are securely attached to the end of a fabric, which is usually two meters long. The end of the sling is threaded through the rings to adjust to the parent’s body. Because of the child’s weight, the rings will not slip.
A pouch sling is a simple tube of fabric worn over one shoulder. It is like a ring sling, but does not have the ability to adjust the size of the carrier. Therefore, it is hard to share between parents, and must be fitted correctly for safety and comfort.
The Chinese meh dai (pronounced “may tie” not “my tie”), is a traditional Asian-style baby carrier. Two shorter straps wrap around the waist and two longer straps go over the shoulders. They are often padded for extra comfort. Meh dai carriers are made for older babies and toddlers, but can be used for newborns as well.
Buckle carriers are probably the most popular baby carriers on the market today. They are made to go on and off like a backpack. Buckle carriers have adjustable straps, so that parents can get the right fit. If your baby is below a certain weight, you may need an infant insert. Most buckle carriers are good for newborns all the way up to toddlers.
Tips For Tying a Baby Sling
Try it on in front of a mirror
A mirror can help you see more angles as you tie on the sling. You will be able to see your side and even part of your back.
Make sure your baby is well-fed
A fussy baby will be harder to get into a sling than a calm baby. Make sure that your baby is well-fed instead of hungry when you try on a sling.
Check the diaper to see if it’s clean
Before you put your baby in a sling, make sure that the diaper is not soiled or wet. It will make for a much more pleasant experience for all involved if the diaper is clean.
Take your time
Make sure that you are not rushed and have plenty of time when tying on a sling.
Different Baby Sling Materials
Baby slings can be made out of all different types of materials. The materials range from natural substances such as cotton to synthetic fabrics. Most sling materials will be stretchy in nature.
Do You Need A Baby Carrier?
A baby carrier can be one of the best pieces of equipment to have around because you can soothe your baby next to your body while carrying out normal tasks. Most babies enjoy being carried around in a carrier. This enables the baby to be content while mom can do whatever mom wants to do. It’s a win-win situation for both the parent and baby. Whether it be doing laundry, going for a walk, sweeping the kitchen, or doing the dishes, a happy baby means mom can get tasks done.
Safety Tips For Baby Carriers
Read And Follow All Manufacturer’s Instructions
It may be tempting to skip the instructions that come with your carrier, but it is important to read them. Since all carriers are different, you will want to make sure that you are using the carrier correctly.
Make Sure You Can See The Baby’s Face At All Times
Do not cover your baby’s face with a blanket, sling fabric, nursing cover, or anything else that could suffocate your baby. Make sure that your baby does not press his/her face into your body.
Check Your Baby Often
It is important to check your baby often, especially if your baby is under 4 months old.
Consult Your Doctor
It is good to talk to your doctor about using a baby sling or carrier if your child was born with a low birth weight. Also consult an expert if your baby has respiratory illness or other respiratory problems.
How To Position Your Child In A Baby Carrier
A child can face with their face towards you or away from you in a baby carrier. Newborns should always face towards the parent. When a child reaches 5 to 6 months of age, they can then face outward.
When Should You Start Using A Baby Sling
Unless your baby is premature or has weak neck muscles, if used correctly, a newborn can be carried in a sling. Make sure to always leave the airways open so that the sling is not a suffocation hazard.
Main Features of Baby Carriers
When shopping for a baby carrier, it is important that you find the right one that fits your needs, as well as your baby’s needs. You will want to ensure that your baby is comfortable and in the correct position. Below I made a list of some features to look for in baby carriers.
Good Back Support
It is important that your baby’s developing neck and back have good support. An ergonomic carrier provides good support, as well as comfort.
Padded Headrest For Baby’s Head
A padded headrest will provide comfortable support for your baby’s head. If your baby is young, they won’t be able to hold their heads up. Therefore, it is nice to have a padded headrest.
Make sure that the straps are strong and durable. If they are not strong, they may not last as long. Also, consider your child’s weight and how long you will be carrying them. Strong straps are important for children that weigh more and are older.
Some baby slings have padded straps, which is nice for the parents. If you will be using the baby sling a lot, and want to be comfortable, padded straps are recommended.
Easy To Clean Carriers
Most baby slings are machine washable. Some carriers, however, can only be washed by hand. It is important for busy parents to choose carriers that take the least amount of time to wash.
- Design: 4-in-1 convertible carrier with adjustable ergonomic seat with adjustable shoulder straps and waist belt to shift weight to the wearers hips for a more comfortable fit
- Wearing positions: Convertible facing-in and facing-out design for newborns and older babies, weighing between 8-32 pounds
- Benefits and use: Experience hands-free convenience with opportunities for bonding and developmental benefits, whether it’s running errands or exploring parks, there’s no place like close
- 【ONE SIZE FITS ALL】 JMMD baby carrier with hip seat has 6 ways to carry go through different stages between 3 and 36 months, including baby-facing in narrow seat form newborn to toddler, facing in wide seat for older babies, facing out narrow seat and so on. They are magical front and back carry for newborn to toddler's
- 【SOFT MATERIAL】 6-in-1 Carrier uses 100% high quality cotton, soft and close to the skin, protecting the baby's delicate skin from harm. Breathable cotton effect is better than ordinary cotton. Natural, soft and comfortable, breathable, skin-friendly and durable. It is suitable for all seasons. The edges are wrapped with soft fabric to avoid scratching and take care of your baby's delicate skin
- 【ERGONOMIC DESIGN】 According to the research of international authorities, baby carrier seat with the M-Shaped can effectively reduce the hip joint force and prevent hip dislocation protecting the normal development of baby bones. 3D space memory cotton stool fits the contours of the baby's buttocks closely, in order to make the small buttocks not oppressed
- More than 4 in 1 - Convertible carrier for holding your baby in various positions, for example, front facing-in or out, back carrying position
- Grow with baby - Ergonomic baby carrier, 100% cotton, soft to touch, gently hugs your baby. Adjustable to accommodate baby’s growth, for babies from 4 months to 3-year-old toddler, up to 55lb (25kg)
- Happy Parenting - Thick foam padded shoulder strap, and extra wide waist belt, both of these are adjustable to allow parents to find the most comfortable fit for their baby and themselves. Added cotton cushion on the abdomen part, effectively and highly reduce weight pression from baby, and ease friction
- 100% Cotton Soft Carriers Material: YSSKTC use all qualified and safe pure cotton materials to protect the health and safety of you and your baby. And baby carrier provide 100% quality assurance, hoping to take care of your baby's growth and be your family.
- Ergonomic Size Design: 6-in-1 carrier is equipped with an adjustable waist stool, harness and backboard, which can be matched and combined according to your travel needs. It is recommended for babies aged 0-36 months. The waist stool can bear a maximum weight of 66 pounds, but the baby's weight will cause discomfort and burden for adults.
- Travel Safely: Baby carrier waist stool has 3 bags for storing baby stuff. And backboard can protect the baby's head and waist from wind and sun.Safety reflective strip design, when the light is illuminated, the reflective strip can reflect the light to act as a reminder and protect you and your children when traveling at night. YSSKTC gives you the best travel companion!
- SecureConnect buckles use magnets as a guide and a secure latch to connect, making it easy and secure to get baby in and out
- 4 modes of use to grow with baby: facing-in newborn seat, facing-in baby seat, facing-out baby seat, and back-carry baby seat
- Integrated newborn seat for use from 8 lb with no additional insert necessary
I hope that this helped you to understand the differences between slings, carriers, and wraps. Even though they are different, they share a common trait and that is that you will get to wear your baby as you go about daily tasks. Baby wearing has many benefits for both the parent and baby. I hope that by taking the time to look over our product table, you will be able to find a sling, wrap, or carrier that is the perfect fit for your child!
Last update on 2020-10-16 at 11:21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API