It is natural for a baby to want his or her milk warm. Though not necessary, most mothers choose to heat up their baby’s milk to make it similar to the natural temperature of breast milk when a baby nurses. Long ago, parents heated up their baby’s bottles on the stovetop. Now it is much easier with the invention of the bottle warmer. I’m going to go over the specifics related to bottle warmers available on the market in today’s article. For more in-depth information on each bottle warmer, simply click on the individual review button below.
Here Are The Best Bottle Warmers of 2018!
Kiinde Kozii Bottle Warmer and Breast Milk Warmer
The First Years Quick Serve Bottle Warmer
Philips AVENT Bottle Warmer
Dr. Brown’s Deluxe Baby Bottle Warmer
ElfinBaby Baby Bottle Warmer & Bottle Sterilizer
Munchkin High Speed Bottle Warmer
ElfinBaby Bottle Sterilizer & Smart Thermostat 4-in-1 with Fast Transit Heat
Tommee Tippee Travel Bottle and Food Warmer
BEABA QUICK BABY BOTTLE WARMER
Nuby One-Touch 2-in-1 Electric Baby Bottle Warmer & Sterilizer
Types of Bottle Warmers
Standard Baby Bottle Warmers
This is the most common bottle warmer on the market. When it is turned on it starts heating the water, which heats up the bottle. Most standard bottle warmers turn off by themselves after reaching a high temperature, and most come with a built-in thermostat. A standard baby bottle warmer can only handle one bottle of milk at a time, but this isn’t too big of a con since most other types of bottle warmers can only handle one bottle at a time as well.
Portable Baby Bottle Warmers
Portable baby bottle warmers are a simple bottle warmer, and are made to be transported anywhere. There are two different kinds of portable baby bottle warmers: rechargeable bottle warmers and battery operated bottle warmers. The only con about a portable bottle warmer is that because of the two types, some people might accidentally buy the wrong one.
Baby Bottle Warmers For Cars
If you travel in the car a lot, then a baby bottle warmer designed specifically for cars might work well for you. It heats up when plugged into the cigarette lighter or the power socket in your vehicle. A disadvantage for this type is that it takes a long time to heat up. Heating a bottle can take up to 15 minutes.
Feeding-System Bottle Warmers
A feeding-system bottle warmer is similar to the standard bottle warmer, except that it has a cooling section as well. This means that you can make the bottle ahead of time, and leave it in the cooler section until you are ready to heat the bottle.
For this type, all you need to do is fill the flask with boiling water, and place the lid on it so that the water doesn’t spill. The next time that you need to heat up the bottle, place it in the hot water. It should only take a few minutes for it to warm up. The nice thing about a flask type of bottle warmer is that the water in the flask stays hot for a couple of hours.
Double Bottle Warmers
As the name suggests, double bottle warmers hold two baby bottles at a time. This is nice for parents who have twins. A disadvantage is that the price can be a little higher, but usually cheaper than buying two bottle warmers.
Features of Bottle Warmers
Each bottle warmer is different and therefore has different features. With that in mind, I have made a list below of some common features that bottle warmers have. Keep in mind that not all warmers have these features.
Auto Shut-Off Feature with Timer
Some bottle warmers, such as the standard bottle warmer, have an auto shut-off feature. There are two kinds. The one kind shuts off when it hits a certain hot temperature. With the other kind you set a timer, and when it hits that time, it shuts off. Both are very effective and work well.
Steam Heat or Water Bath
All bottle warmers are either going to heat by steam or by water. Both kinds have their pros and cons. It is up to you for which kind to choose, although the water bath type has been known to be safer. Later on in this article I will go into further detail about the differences between steam heat and water bath bottle warmers.
A nice feature that all bottle warmers should have is an adjustable section so that you can fit in bottles of all different shapes and sizes.
Do You Need A Bottle Warmer?
If you will be making fresh formula for every feed, then you won’t need a baby bottle warmer. If you, however, are using ready-to-use formula cartons or expressed milk, then it is recommended to heat up the bottle. Most babies like warm milk, but some have been known to drink milk that was cold. It really all depends on how your baby likes it, and if you are willing to heat it up by placing it in a jug of hot water.
Tips For Warming Up A Baby Bottle
With a Bottle Warmer
Don’t let it become too hot. If the water is boiling, it is time to take the bottle out. Make sure to let it cool before feeding it to your baby. If your bottle warmer has an auto shut-off feature or a timer, then let it heat the bottle up until it turns off.
Without a Bottle Warmer
Fill a jug or bowl with hot water. Place the bottle in the bowl of water. Let it sit there for 15 minutes. The water should be hot enough to heat the water, but cool enough for you to touch the bottle without burning yourself. Shake the bottle to make sure that the temperature is even.
Add warm water to the formula. If you are feeding your baby formula, then you can skip heating the bottle and instead add warm water right into it. This will save you a lot of time, and it is very easy to do.
How Do Bottle Warmers Work
Bottle warmers are very easy to operate. Place the bottle in the central vessel of the warmer, and fill around it with water from a jug. Once you have done that, switch it on. Elements heat the water, which then heats the bottle.
Tips For Selecting The Right Bottle Warmer
Decide if you will be heating breast milk:
If you will be heating breast milk, then you will want a bottle warmer that heats it with a water bath. The type that heats it by steam is not as good for breast milk, so go with one that has a water bath.
Decide if you need to travel with it:
If you need to travel with a bottle warmer, then you will want a portable bottle warmer or a bottle warmer for cars. Consider how much you travel, and how often your baby gets hungry.
Get a double bottle warmer if you have twins:
If you have twins, then you may want to get a double bottle warmer. That way, if they both wake up at the same time you can feed them without making one wait.
Safety Tips For Bottle Warmers
When using a bottle warmer, you will want to make sure to use it safely and properly. Below is a list of some safety tips to consider when using a baby bottle warmer.
Store the milk in a cool place. When you are putting the bottle away to be warmed up later, you will want to store it in a cool place or in a container with ice cubes in it. That way microorganisms won’t develop inside.
Don’t give your baby too hot of a bottle. If the water in the bottle warmer is boiling, you will want to wait a minute or two before giving it to your baby. To ensure that the milk is at the right temperature, you will want to drop a little on your wrist.
Be careful not to spill any. If the water is boiling hot, then be careful when you take the bottle out not to spill any on you. Don’t hold it too close to you in case it spills, because it could result in a burn injury.
Read the bottle warmer instructions that come with the bottle warmer. Before using your bottle warmer, make sure to read the instructions that came with it. Don’t skip any warnings, safety instructions, or instructions for setting it up. Skipping the instructions could result in injury, so make sure not to skip it.
Tips For Preserving Breast Milk
Before you can warm up the milk, you will need the milk. If you will be feeding your child breast milk through a bottle, then you will need to find a way to preserve the milk. Here are a few tips when preserving your breast milk:
Freeze the Breast Milk
Frozen breast milk can last from 6 to 12 months. You can store it in plastic or glass containers, or in milk bags that are specifically designed for storing breast milk. Also remember that once you thaw the breast milk, you should never refreeze it.
Refrigerate the Breast Milk
Although freezing breast milk is always the best way to preserve it, you may also refrigerate it as long as you use it soon. Refrigerated breast milk will last from 4 to 8 days.
Difference Between A Water Bath And Steam Heat
You may have heard about the two main types of bottle warmers: the water bath type and the steam heat type. If you didn’t know about the two types, then it is important that you get the right one. Below I am going to go over the differences with these two types of bottle warmers.
A water bath based warmer heats breastmilk or formula in a gentle way. It heats it up by circulating warm water around the bottle. This is type of warmer is the best bottle warmer for breast milk, because the gentle warming helps the breast milk to retain maximum nutrients, maternal antibodies, and other health promoting factors. A disadvantage about this type is that it takes longer to heat up, but it is well worth the wait.
The hot water and steam rise up to very high temperatures on this type, which means that the bottle gets heated quickly. This can also result into a very hot bottle exterior, so it is recommended to let the bottle cool down before feeding it to your baby. Because it gets so hot, this type does have some risks. If the milk were to spill onto somebody, the result would be a burn injury. Another disadvantage is that steam does not always heat evenly. This means that without thorough mixing and checking, hot-spots are a risk.
- Fast warming: Warms milk in just 3 minutes
- No hot spots: Milk continuously circulates for gentle and even warming
- Perfect for middle-of-the-night feeds: Progress indicator light shows you that milk is ready when all three segments are illuminated; non-audible alert to avoid disturbing baby
- 【Multifunction Bottle Warmer】Our portable bottle warmer is versatile, user-friendly, and capable of rapidly warming milk, thawing, sterili-zing, and even maintaining milk at the optimal temperature. Baby bottle warmer is compatible with a diameter of 4.33 inch bottles, as well as baby food jars and breastmilk bags.
- 【Fast Warming】With the bottle warmer to heat breast milk quickly. The default heating temperature of the bottle warmer is 113°F. You can adjust the heating target temperature by pressing the "+" or "-" button. It only takes 3-6 minutes for 4 oz/120 ml of milk to reach a temperature of 104°F/40°C. The heating speed depends on the milk volume and bottle material, and the heating target temperature can be adjusted appropriately according to your actual situation
- 【Retain Nutrients in Breastmilk】 Breast milk warmer uses gentle water heating technology instead of high-temperature steam, slowly and evenly warming breast milk to ensure the essential nutrients crucial for your baby's healthy growth are preserved, providing your baby with the best nutrition.
- All in One: The Simple Serve acts as a bottle warmer and pacifier sanitizer, quickly warming breast milk, milk formula, and baby food jars or sanitizing multiple baby pacifiers at once
- Easy to Use: Simply fill the water vial to desired amount and then store in the bottle warmer so it'll be ready; pour in the vial, add your bottle and push the button; the light turns of when warming is complete and the baby bottle warmer shuts off automatically
- Compact Bottle Warmer: The small size fits easily on counter so you can keep in nursery or on nightstand for easy access during the night, and makes it a convenient travel bottle warmer for on-the-go trips
- 【Fast Warming in 3 Mins】: 4oz/120ml milk only takes 3 minutes to reach 98.6°F/37°C. It heats up quick enough to calm down a screaming baby in the middle of the night. Happy baby means happy mommy! (*Warming time depends on milk volume, initial temperature and bottle material.)
- 【Smart 8-in-1】: Fast Warming / Thaw / Keep Warm / Steaming / Food Heating / Timer / Adjustable Temp / Anti-scald Basket. Save the money for other useless bulky devices. This do-it-all machine meets all your needs. It’s the best shower gift for growing families.
- 【Perfect for Night Feeding】: Use Keep Warm function to maintain the milk temperature before going to bed (its small size fits easily on a nightstand) for those late night feedings. It’s also very useful when trying to get your baby to take a bottle and might try a bottle multiple times with short gaps between.
- Warms feeds fast: Warms baby milk to body temperature in as little as 4 minutes* without overheating, so your baby has a comfortable and natural feeding experience
- Gentle warming: Gradual, gentle warming helps to preserve the goodness and vital nutrients in your baby’s feed and gets it to a comfortable body temperature that feels natural to baby
- Convenient: The Easiwarm warmer is spacious enough to fit most brands of bottles, yet still compact enough to sit neatly on your kitchen counter
I’ve gone over some specifics of bottle warmers along with the different types. I’ve also covered related topics such as preserving your breast milk along with safety tips for using bottle warmers. I hope that these tips help you when shopping for a baby bottle warmer.
Last update on 2024-02-22 at 04:54 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API