A changing table is an essential for any family with a newborn or toddler. However, finding the right one to fit your family's needs can be difficult. Today we are going through our favorite changing tables of the year. Click on each individual review below for an in-depth look at each individual changing table. I hope that this article can help you glide through the shopping process.
Here Are The Best Changing Tables !
Dream On Me Emily Changing Table
Delta Children Eclipse Changing Table
Graco Lauren Changing Table
Costzon Baby Changing Table Infant Diaper Nursery Station w/6 Basket Storage Drawers
Athena Leila 2 Drawer Changer
DaVinci Jenny Lind Changing Table
Babyletto Hudson 3-Drawer Changer Dresser with Removable Changing Tray
Stokke Care Changing Table
Badger Basket Diaper Corner Baby Changing Table with Hamper/Basket
Badger Basket Sleigh Style Changing Table with Six Baskets
Types of Changing Tables
Traditional Changing Table
The traditional changing table is the most popular style of changing table. It also comes in two different types. There is the traditional changing table, which has open storage space, instead of drawers. The other type is the baby changer dresser, which has drawers and has a removable changing table attachment on top. A nice thing is that the top can be removed, so that this can become a regular dresser once your baby gets older. The baby changer dresser is becoming very popular, but both types work well.
Folding Changing Table
The fold down changing table is a good choice if you are on a tight budget, because they are cheap. Unfortunately, these tables cannot be used for storage purposes. This will work for those who travel, or if you want to easily move the table from room to room. This type works best as a portable changing table, since it is made of plastic. Plastic is not as safe and sturdy as wood is, and therefore should not be used on a daily basis.
Wall-Mounted Changing Tables
The wall-mounted changing table is a changing table that is mounted on the wall. This is a nice option for those who don't have much room. Keep in mind, however, that this type is only a tray. There is no place for storage. Some people also think that wall-mounted changing tables are not the safest. Although the tray should be securely on the wall, some feel that their baby may fall.
Baby Cribs with Changing Tables
Some baby cribs have a baby changing table attached to them. This type may cost more. The nice thing about it is that you get your crib and changing table all at once.
Corner Changing Tables
Corner changing tables are changing tables that fit in a corner. This type works well as a changing station because it has shelves and drawers for keeping supplies.
Daycare Changing Tables
This type is a changing table for toddlers, which has steps or stairs that the child can walk up on. A daycare changing table can also be used at home, but is mostly used at daycares and preschools.
Features of Changing Tables
You will see a wide variety of features in a changing table such as different styles of shelving, holders for items, and compartments. Also, some changing tables are a combination of a dresser and changing table.
Do You Need A Changing Table? And, If So, When?
You can use the changing table for newborns all the way to 2 year olds, or to 30 pounds. Each changing table is different, so make sure to check the weight limit recommended by the manufacturer. There are also some changing tables for toddlers, that have small stairs for the child to walk up.
You do not need a changing table. But they can make life a lot easier. If you have a changing table with drawers, or at least with a shelf, then you can use it for storing the diaper supplies.
What To Keep Stocked In Your Changing Table
Once you have your changing table, you will need to have your diaper changing supplies. Below is a list of things to have stocked in your changing table.
- Diapers This is probably obvious, but it is important that you don't run out of diapers. If you are storing your diapers in the drawers or shelves of the changing table, then make sure that it is always full of plenty of diapers. It is also a good idea to keep some backup diapers, just in case you forget to buy some.
- Wipes Make sure to keep some wipes available at all times.
- Creams Always have some creams available in case a rash appears on your baby.
- Hair Ties Keep some hair ties in your changing table so that you can quickly tie up your hair for sanitary purposes.
- Hand sanitizer This is so that you can quickly and easily wash your hands after you change your baby's diaper. It is also a good idea to wash your baby's hands.
- Toys It is a good idea to keep some toys in your changing table so that you can easily give your baby the toy. Keep a couple of toys in the changing table, just in case your baby wants a different toy.
- Changing Table Pad This isn't exactly something to stock up on, but rather something to have at least one of. You also may want to keep an extra one just in case something happens to the one you are using or if you want to take it with you on an outing.
How Much Space Do You Need For A Changing Table?
Before you buy a changing table, think about how much room you have in your house. Also think about where the changing table will be. Will it be in your baby's room? If so, decide where it will go. Make sure you do not put it in a place that will interfere with work.
A good changing table for those who don't want to take up too much space is the baby changer dresser. This type can be used as a nursery furniture, so that is one less thing you will need to buy. Another option for those with limited space would be the wall-mounted changing table. Since it is mounted on the wall, it will not take up any floor space.
What To Consider Before Purchasing A Changing Table
You will want to consider some things before you buy a changing table. All changing tables are different, so make sure that you get the right one that fits your needs. Below are a few things to consider.
Not all changing tables come in the same height. If you are a shorter or taller person, then consider which height is best for you. Since you will be spending a lot of time at the changing table, it is important to get the right one that is comfortable for you.
Consider the amount of storage that you will want. Also think about if you want to store things in plain sight or in drawers. When considering the amount of storage you will want, you will also be able to decide which type of changing table you want. The wall-mounted and the foldable changing tables will not have a place for storage. A baby dresser and changing table is good for parents who want things hidden and put away.
The last option for you is the traditional changing table, which does not have drawers. Take some time to consider these matters and talk about what will fit your needs.
Materials Changing Tables Can Be Made From
The highest quality changing tables are most often made of softwoods such as pine. Different finishes on the wood can give it a hardwood look even though it is a softwood. Particle board that is painted is another type of wood used in changing table materials. However, a particle board won't hold up as long as solid pieces of wood.
Some changing tables are made of plastic. They are usually cheaper to buy than wood changing tables. Plastics are easy to wash and usually are lightweight.
Safety Features and Tips
Changing tables should have side rails so that your baby doesn't fall off. Though you will still need to supervise at all times and not walk away, side rails help for babies to not roll off while you are there.
Buckle Safety Strap
Some changing tables have straps similar to a seatbelt for keeping your baby secure. Never leave your baby unattended on a diaper changer. The strap is there to help prevent accidental falls while you are there.
Make sure that you buy a changing table that is sturdy and can't tip over. You shouldn't buy a table that shakes or rattles even the slightest bit.
How Many Tables Do You Really Need?
A cheaper changing table should last through one child. But if you are going to be using it for lots of children, then you will want to buy a higher quality changing table. The number of changing tables that you will need depends on the quality and how many children you have. Another thing to consider is how many rooms you have. If you have a lot of rooms, then it would be a good idea to have a couple of changing tables.
How To Use Your Changing Table Most Efficiently
It's going to be wise of you to put the items most used, within hands reach on a changing table. Items that you will want close are diapers, wipes, diaper cream, and a toy or two that your baby may want to hold onto while you do the diaper change. On the bottom and middle shelves you can stock up on surplus items such extra diapers, wipes, and spare onesies.
- Includes water-resistant changing pad with safety strap; features two fixed shelves for open storage
- Safety rails enclose all four sides around the top of the table; tested for lead and other toxic elements to meet or exceed government and ASTM safety standards. Wood construction
- Made of solid wood and wood composites; meets all safety and anti-tipping standards.: 35.25W x 21.50D x 36.7 H inches.Shipping dimensions (in inches): 40.25 (width) by 5.50 (height) by 25.25 (depth); Shipping Weight (in pounds): 33.29
- EVERYDAY WALL-MOUNTED BABY CHANGING STATION: The ECR4Kids Wall-Mounted Baby Changing Station is designed for use with infants and toddlers (up to 3.5 years) in commercial restrooms.
- OPTIMIZED FOR SAFETY: Our baby changing table features a smooth and comfortable concave surface and an adjustable child-safety strap to keep kids safely in place. The weight capacity is 250 lbs.
- MODERN DESIGN: Our diaper-changing table has a space-saving design that features an antibacterial high-density polyethylene plastic for strength and durability in an attractive neutral-white color.
- Ample room for diaper changing on top with storage baskets and a hamper included below
- Hamper and baskets pull out easily and are fully removable
- Safety rails enclose all four sides of the changing area
- HIGH ON STYLE: Handsomely crafted, the Dream On Me Marcus Changing Table & Dresser is made of solid cherry wood. Its classic design features a mix of curved and straight lines that will fit seamlessly into any nursery
- THOUGHTFUL FEATURES: The Marcus comes with a beautifully crafted safety rail that surrounds the provided 1” thick changing pad. It also has a restraining strap with easy release buckle that keeps your baby safely in place
- GREAT STORAGE: The Marcus is equipped with three easy-to-reach, spacious and deep drawers that glide comfortably, and allow you to keep your LOs essentials neatly organized and easy to access
- Ample room for diaper changing on top with six storage baskets in two sizes included below
- Baskets pull out easily and are fully removable
- Safety rails enclose all four sides of the changing area
Buying a changing table is not hard, but it is time consuming. We hope that this article helps to save you and your family some time by discovering the features that are most important to you. Best of luck as you search for a changing table to meet all your needs!