Are you tired of lactating in public or just being uncomfortable in your nursing bra? Today we are walking through the best nursing pads that are on the market today. By compiling information on nursing pads on the market, as well as nursing tips and tricks, we hope that we can prepare you well for choosing the right nursing pad. For more in-depth information on each nursing pad, simply click on the individual review button in the table below.
Here Are The Best Nursing Pads of 2018!
bamboobies Washable Reusable Nursing Pads with Leak-Proof Backing for Breastfeeding
Lansinoh Nursing Pads Stay Dry 60 Each
Medela Disposable Nursing Bra Pads
Hey Mama Disposable Nursing Pads
Organic Bamboo Nursing Pads (12 Pack) With Bonus Laundry Bag by Enovoe
Philips Avent Day Disposable Breast Pads
Johnson’s Nursing Pads 60 Count
NUK Ultra Thin Disposable Nursing Pads
Bundlebliss Disposable Ultra Thin Nursing Breast Pads
Lansinoh Ultimate Protection Nursing Pads For Nursing Mothers
Different Types of Nursing Pads
Disposable Nursing Pads
Disposable nursing pads are made to be worn and then thrown away. They come in many different sizes and brands. Disposable nursing pads are nice to use if you are traveling, since you don’t have to worry about washing them. But they can get expensive, since you have to buy new ones often.
Reusable Nursing Pads
Reusable nursing pads are environmentally friendly, since you aren’t throwing them away throughout the day. This will also save you a lot of money, because you only need to buy a few. You will want to keep some extras in case you don’t have time to wash them, or if some are in the laundry.
Silicone Nursing Pads
Silicone nursing pads put a gentle pressure on the breast to prevent leaks. They are not absorbent. Since they are made from silicone, the pads have a sticky surface. This means that they can be worn with or without a bra. Some people like to wear them under fancy clothing or for swimming.
Hydrogel Nursing Pads
Hydrogel nursing pads are used to help soothe and heal sore nipples. Some people like to put them in the refrigerator or freezer so that they provide a cool feeling on their skin.
Homemade Nursing Pads
Some people like to make their own nursing pads out of different items. Homemade nursing pads can easily be made by folding a handkerchief, sanitary napkins, or a piece of cotton material over your breasts. If you know how to sew then you can stitch a few layers of material onto your shirt. When you are making your nursing pads, do not use artificial materials. Instead, use 100% cotton fabric. Cotton fabric is better at soaking leaks, and is soft against your skin.
What Are Nursing Pads Used For
Nursing pads, also known as breast pads, are used to prevent leaks from your breasts from staining your shirt. They also prevent leaks from being visible to the world. Nursing pads are for breastfeeding or breast pumping mothers. They are similar to bra pads, except that they are made specifically for preventing leaks. After having your baby, you may experience milk leakage from your breasts. Some people have had leaks just from hearing their baby cry. Because leaks can happen anytime, it would be wise to wear nursing pads throughout the day.
When Should You Start Using Nursing Pads
When you should use nursing pads really depends on when you start to leak, and if you leak at all. Some women have never experienced leakage, while others deal with it constantly. Leakage can happen starting when the milk comes in, all the way until you stop breastfeeding. This, of course, depends on the individual. It is best to purchase nursing pads ahead of time, in case you begin to leak.
How Often Should You Change Nursing Pads
Nursing pads should be changed as soon as they become damp. It has been estimated that for 24 hours you will probably need at least 6 sets of nursing pads, but this depends on how often you leak. Leaving a pad on too long can lead to infection. If you are treating nipple or breast yeast, then make sure to remove wet nursing pads immediately.
Disposable vs Washable Pads
Although there are many different types of breast pads, the two most common ones are disposable pads and washable pads. I’m going to go over the difference between these two nursing pads, and which one may work for you.
What Is A disposable Breast Pad?
Disposable nursing pads are meant to be thrown away after each use. This can get rather expensive, since you will have to buy several. Fortunately, disposable nursing pads come in a pack, so a box of nursing pads should last for a while. If you leak constantly, this might not be for you since you will have to buy a lot. On the other hand, you won’t have to keep washing them as you would with washable pads. The one that is best for you depends on how much you leak, and how much washing you would want to do.
What Is A Washable Breast Pad?
Washable nursing pads, also called reusable pads, are nice for if you want to save money and be environmentally friendly. Since you wash them after each use, you will not need to buy as many. This can work well if you leak a lot. It can, however, get hard to wash them all if you leak a lot, since you will be constantly washing them throughout the day.
Tips For Using Nursing Pads
As with all items, it can help to have some tips. Although nursing pads can be very easy to put on, I’m going to go over some tips for wearing a nursing pad.
1. Prepare your nipple before putting on your nursing pads
Before you put on your nursing pads, make sure your nipple is dry. If your nipple is irritated, then apply some nipple cream before putting on your nursing pads.
2. Position nipple in the center of the nursing pad
Make sure that the nipple is positioned in the center on the pad. This will prevent leaks from escaping, and will let the nursing pad absorb all it can.
3. Wash or dispose the pad once it is wet
Once your nursing pads are wet, wash or throw them away. Replace it with a fresh and clean one. Make sure to always have plenty of clean pads on hand, since you never know when you will need them.
4. Wet the nipple if the nursing pad gets stuck
If your nursing pad gets stuck to your nipple, avoid pulling it off. Instead, apply a small amount of water on it and it should gently release. Be extra careful if your nipples are cracked or irritated.
Tips For When You Lactate In Public
Wear Breast Pads
As this whole article has suggested, wearing breast pads can save you from the embarrassment of leakage out in public. If you don’t have any breast pads available when out in public, you can quickly make one using a handkerchief or napkin.
Wear Shirts With Patterns
Shirts with patterns will help distract from any liquid that might have seeped through your shirt. A plain colored shirt will draw attention to it immediately. So try to wear patterned and loose shirts when out in public when you’re still breastfeeding.
Tips For Dressing Your Chest After Giving Birth
Wear a nursing bra
If you will be breastfeeding or breast pumping, then you may want a nursing bra. This means that every time your baby wants to nurse, or if you want to pump milk, you won’t have to completely undress. Instead, you can simply unclip it and your child can nurse.
Wear a nursing pad
After you have your baby, you may need to wear nursing pads. Keep in mind that not everybody needs them, but you may want to have them just in case you deal with leakage.
Wear a nursing shirt
There are many different kinds of nursing shirts that are very comfortable and effective. They are similar to nursing bras, except that it is a shirt. If you don’t want to buy one, then you can just as easily use a loose shirt. That way your baby can easily nurse, and you can be comfortable.
Wear a bigger bra
It is common to go up a cup size or two during and after pregnancy. The breast is a common place to get stretch marks. Since your chest will get bigger, you will want a bra that fits and is comfortable. You may want to just buy a bigger size, or you may want to get a maternity bra.
- ABSORBENT FOR LEAK-PROOF CONFIDENCE: The #1 selling disposable nursing pads in the US. Lansinoh Stay Dry Disposable Nursing Pads feature one-way moisture technology and a waterproof lining for leak-proof confidence.
- SUPER SOFT COMFORT: Lansinoh Stay Dry Disposable Nursing Pads feature a quilted honeycomb layer for a dry and comfortable feeling. We recommend changing the pad often to maintain healthy skin, if possible after every feeding.
- DISCREET & CONVENIENT: These nursing pads feature a contoured shape that ensures a comfortable & discreet fit even when wet. Each pad is individually wrapped for convenience on the go. Two adhesive strips keep the pad in place.
- Updated Pad: Our new breastfeeding pads have increased absorbency for maximum protection
- Dermatologist Tested: These nipple pads for breastfeeding are designed to be super soft on mom's sensitive skin
- Waterproof Lining: Experience leak proof confidence with Lansinoh nursing pads
- Medela is the #1 Physician Recommended Brand of Nursing Pads
- ABSORBENT, LEAKPROOF DESIGN FOR LOW TO MODERATE LEAKAGE: With an absorbent polymer core, waterproof back layer, and flexible leak guard, these disposable nursing pads protect from unexpected leakage while wicking away moisture so you can stay dry
- DISCREET BENEATH CLOTHING: With a wide adhesive strip that firmly secures our pads in place, our Safe & Dry Disposable Nursing Pads are optimized to fit the breast through a contoured, ultra-thin oval shape that provides protection you can rely on
- 14 PACK + LAUNDRY BAG + GIFT BAG - Enough to last you for a week. To wash, simply put it in the laundry bag. No more worries about losing a piece!
- SUPER ABSORBENT - Total of 4 layers, 3 layers of ultra absorbent bamboo backed with waterproof layer to prevent leakages! For super heavy flow, please bring an extra set of nursing pads to change after 5-6 hours.
- ORGANIC BAMBOO- Safe for babies to latch on after use. Organic Bamboo is the softest and most absorbent fabric that we have to offer, giving the best comfort for your sore nipples all day long!
- ULTRA-SOFT AND HYPOALLERGENIC: Made of the softest bamboo, these nursing pads are more absorbent and durable than cotton, and they offer superior comfort for chafed or sore nipples and nursing mothers’ sensitive skin.
- ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY: Unlike disposable nursing pads, these washable breast pads can be reused day after day, saving you money and reducing waste. Simply machine wash and tumble dry between uses.
- CONTOURED SHAPE: Designed by moms for moms, these breast pads feature a clever contoured shape to fit smoothly and discreetly in your nursing bras. The waterproof backing protects your nursing bra and shirt from leaks.
Congratulations on making the decision to breastfeed your baby! Along with nursing comes some challenges such as leakage. I hope that this article helped you in dealing with leakage. I’ve gone over the details about nursing pads, also called breast pads. I hope that this helps you in choosing the right nursing pads for you to make your job as nursing mama easier.
Last update on 2020-10-16 at 07:21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API