If you are in the market for a baby monitor, it can be a confusing task. But, rest easy, because we've made it simpler for you by compiling what we believe are the top 10 best baby monitors on the market today. We've looked at the specifications of each monitor in detail. I hope this review makes it much simpler to pick out the best baby monitor for your family.
What Is A Baby Monitor?
A baby monitor, also known as a baby alarm, is a radio system. Its purpose is to be used to listen to the sounds made by a baby when you are in the other room. A baby monitor allows a parent to be in another room while their baby sleeps, without worrying that they won't hear when their baby calls for them or wakes.
A baby monitor consists of a transmitter unit and microphone. It should be placed near the baby's crib. The parent can then carry a receiver unit with a speaker so that he or she can hear the baby wherever they go. Some baby monitors have a two-way communication system, so that the parent and baby can talk back and forth to each other.
Types Of Baby Monitors
There are three main types of baby monitors. They are audio monitors, video monitors, and sensor/movement monitors.
Video Baby Monitor
A video baby monitor allows the parent to see the baby via use of a receiver that the parent carries with them. In the room where the baby is, the monitor will have a camera that can be pointed in the direction of the baby.
Wi-Fi Baby Monitor
A Wi-Fi baby monitor is a wireless monitor that allows you to watch your baby using a camera linked to an app on a smart phone or a tablet.
Baby Monitor Apps
A baby monitor app allows you to use your smart device to watch your baby using your camera-equipped device.
Audio Baby monitor
An audio baby monitor allows you to listen to the sounds made by the baby without actually being in the room.
Long-Range Baby monitor
A long-range baby monitor allows you to receive sounds and information about your baby from a further away distance than a regular baby monitor. A long-range baby monitor is useful for those who live in the country or a bigger house.
Baby Movement Monitor
Baby movement monitors vary greatly in features. You can buy one that simply monitors when your baby moves, or purchase one that keeps track of your baby's heart rate and pulse. Parents of preemies sometimes like the baby movement monitors, because they let them keep track of their baby's breathing. For some parents, this lets them rest a bit more.
A video/audio monitor allows you to both see and hear your infant from the baby monitor.
Common baby monitor features
Tips For Internet Safety When Using A Baby Monitor
Baby monitors nowadays are said to be safe from hackers. But it is not impossible for a hacker to find a way in to some baby monitors. For me, I'd want a 0% chance of that ever happening when it comes to the safety of my child. Here are some tips when it comes to internet safety and your baby monitor that can greatly decrease the chance of a hacker spying on your child:
- Conduct your own research of the monitor that you buy. Understand which features make certain monitors more secure than others.
- Know the difference between direct-sequence spread spectrum (DSSS) and frequency-hopping spread spectrum (FHSS). Each one has it's one unique security features, but it's generally believed that FHSS is the most secure. FHSS limits outside access by randomly hopping frequencies at a very fast rate. With FHSS, it is much harder for a hacker to establish a connection than it is with DSSS.
- Update software regularly. When you see updates pop up, those are made to slow hackers down. Keep your device updated with the latest protection software.
- Secure your network. Every once in a while change your password. Also, make sure it is not a simple password to figure out. The more complex, the better.
How To Use A Baby Monitor App
Each baby monitor app is going to have its own set of unique features along with their own prices. They are easy and fast to download onto your phone. A baby monitor app will allow you to tap into your baby monitor camera so that you can watch your baby by using the internet as the carrier.
What To Consider Before Purchasing A Baby Monitor
Which Monitor is Best
What's best for one parent might not be best for another parent. Each situation is different. A parent that wants to be able to walk to the laundry room and still hear their baby, will need something different from someone who needs to know their baby's heart rate. Make sure to click on each individual monitor review to view its unique features and specifications. This should help to make your decision easier.
Other Baby Monitor Uses
More and more baby monitors are being used by pet owners to watch their pets while they are away. Some baby monitors along with phone apps even allow you to talk to your pet. All you will need is an internet wifi connection and you can watch your dog, cat, horse, alpacas, etc. from work or anytime that you are not with them. This can give a pet owner great comfort by relieving the stress associated over wondering if their fur-babies are doing ok when they aren't there with them.
If you have an older adult such as a grandparent who is still independent but you want to keep an eye on, a monitor may be just the answer. A baby monitor will allow you to monitor them to see if they have fallen or need help. You can also communicate to a senior through some of the monitors which allow two-way communication.
- 2018 AWARD WINNER: Popular Mechanics Best Baby Monitor, 9/25/18
- PERFECT SIZE & WEIGHT RATIO - no large batteries to power energy-hungry large screens. The DXR-8 is light-weight and portable, designed for true mobility around the house.
- FULL VIEWING CONTROL - The DXR-8 is a baby monitor with camera features such as pan/tilt/zoom and interchangeable lens. Fit the zoom lens to see closer, or zoom out with the wide angle lens. Expandable up to 4 cameras
- Insert alkaline batteries (sold separately) into the parent unit and it will stay on while you move it to a new room. For extended monitoring, make sure the parent unit is plugged into AC power
- DECT 6.0 provides crystal clear transmission, eliminating the annoying white noise you hear from analog monitors
- 5-level sound indicator - graphic bars on the parent unit indicate the level of sound in your baby's room so you can visually monitor the noise level with the unit muted
- Crisp & Clear Real-Time Images: Large 5” 720P handheld display is 3 times more detailed than previous baby monitors; it boasts full color by day and greyscale infrared images at night to see all the delicate movements of your little one clearly
- Effortless Monitoring: LED noise indicators and an external thermostat keep you accurately updated on your baby’s wellbeing; set to the highest to alert even the heaviest sleeper or set to low volume to hear only loud noises with 7 volume levels
- Always Feel Connected: Turn on the VAVA monitor in a snap second to instantly check what’s happening when your baby murmurs; features 2X, 4X zoom and an auto-pilot panoramic mode to scan your baby’s nursery, no waiting around for any app or setup
- 【Are you looking for a More Reliable and Safer baby monitor?】DR.J uses 2.4GHz FHSS wireless technology, the parent and baby unit are pre-paired to each other in a secure way that does not rely on WIFI before ship to your hand. 2.4G wireless is safer than WIFI to protect your privacy and your baby’s safety. DR.J's baby monitor comes with a Stronger signal, More Stable connection and Better image.
- 【Are you worry about Blurred images and intermittent talking effects？】DR.J's baby monitor is Not only heard clearly and talking with your babies clearly, but the video is also an added bonus, you can watch your babies through this 2.4" LCD monitor clearly. No matter your child is sleeping or awake, no matter they are naughty or boisterous, you can quickly communicate with them or reprimand them for their behaviour.
- 【What else you should know?】Built-in IR LED, night vision that helps you to check whether your loved one is comfortable, the picture is impressively clear in day/night mode! You can turn on the night light when the baby cries to soothe him or see him when he is sleeping without disturbing the baby. The songs it has (4 lullabies) are cool. The temperature indicator to tell you how hot/cool the room is.
- WiFi Baby monitor
- English (Publication Language)
I hope that this review of the top ten baby monitors of 2018, helps you pick out the best baby monitor for you and your family. By clicking on each individual review above, you can check out the price and features for that particular monitor. You can also see what parents who have bought that particular monitor think of it. Whatever you decide, I hope that using a baby monitor to watch your child can help you to sleep easier at night.