If you are in the market for a baby monitor, it can be a confusing task. But, rest easy, because we've made it simpler for you by compiling what we believe are the top 10 best baby monitors on the market today. We've looked at the specifications of each monitor in detail. I hope this review makes it much simpler to pick out the best baby monitor for your family.
What Is A Baby Monitor?
A baby monitor, also known as a baby alarm, is a radio system. Its purpose is to be used to listen to the sounds made by a baby when you are in the other room. A baby monitor allows a parent to be in another room while their baby sleeps, without worrying that they won't hear when their baby calls for them or wakes.
A baby monitor consists of a transmitter unit and microphone. It should be placed near the baby's crib. The parent can then carry a receiver unit with a speaker so that he or she can hear the baby wherever they go. Some baby monitors have a two-way communication system, so that the parent and baby can talk back and forth to each other.
Types Of Baby Monitors
There are three main types of baby monitors. They are audio monitors, video monitors, and sensor/movement monitors.
Video Baby Monitor
A video baby monitor allows the parent to see the baby via use of a receiver that the parent carries with them. In the room where the baby is, the monitor will have a camera that can be pointed in the direction of the baby.
Wi-Fi Baby Monitor
A Wi-Fi baby monitor is a wireless monitor that allows you to watch your baby using a camera linked to an app on a smart phone or a tablet.
Baby Monitor Apps
A baby monitor app allows you to use your smart device to watch your baby using your camera-equipped device.
Audio Baby monitor
An audio baby monitor allows you to listen to the sounds made by the baby without actually being in the room.
Long-Range Baby monitor
A long-range baby monitor allows you to receive sounds and information about your baby from a further away distance than a regular baby monitor. A long-range baby monitor is useful for those who live in the country or a bigger house.
Baby Movement Monitor
Baby movement monitors vary greatly in features. You can buy one that simply monitors when your baby moves, or purchase one that keeps track of your baby's heart rate and pulse. Parents of preemies sometimes like the baby movement monitors, because they let them keep track of their baby's breathing. For some parents, this lets them rest a bit more.
A video/audio monitor allows you to both see and hear your infant from the baby monitor.
Common baby monitor features
Tips For Internet Safety When Using A Baby Monitor
Baby monitors nowadays are said to be safe from hackers. But it is not impossible for a hacker to find a way in to some baby monitors. For me, I'd want a 0% chance of that ever happening when it comes to the safety of my child. Here are some tips when it comes to internet safety and your baby monitor that can greatly decrease the chance of a hacker spying on your child:
- Conduct your own research of the monitor that you buy. Understand which features make certain monitors more secure than others.
- Know the difference between direct-sequence spread spectrum (DSSS) and frequency-hopping spread spectrum (FHSS). Each one has it's one unique security features, but it's generally believed that FHSS is the most secure. FHSS limits outside access by randomly hopping frequencies at a very fast rate. With FHSS, it is much harder for a hacker to establish a connection than it is with DSSS.
- Update software regularly. When you see updates pop up, those are made to slow hackers down. Keep your device updated with the latest protection software.
- Secure your network. Every once in a while change your password. Also, make sure it is not a simple password to figure out. The more complex, the better.
How To Use A Baby Monitor App
Each baby monitor app is going to have its own set of unique features along with their own prices. They are easy and fast to download onto your phone. A baby monitor app will allow you to tap into your baby monitor camera so that you can watch your baby by using the internet as the carrier.
What To Consider Before Purchasing A Baby Monitor
Which Monitor is Best
What's best for one parent might not be best for another parent. Each situation is different. A parent that wants to be able to walk to the laundry room and still hear their baby, will need something different from someone who needs to know their baby's heart rate. Make sure to click on each individual monitor review to view its unique features and specifications. This should help to make your decision easier.
Other Baby Monitor Uses
More and more baby monitors are being used by pet owners to watch their pets while they are away. Some baby monitors along with phone apps even allow you to talk to your pet. All you will need is an internet wifi connection and you can watch your dog, cat, horse, alpacas, etc. from work or anytime that you are not with them. This can give a pet owner great comfort by relieving the stress associated over wondering if their fur-babies are doing ok when they aren't there with them.
If you have an older adult such as a grandparent who is still independent but you want to keep an eye on, a monitor may be just the answer. A baby monitor will allow you to monitor them to see if they have fallen or need help. You can also communicate to a senior through some of the monitors which allow two-way communication.
- CLEAR AUDIO AND LONG RANGE - DECT 6.0 technology provides clear audio transmission, eliminating annoying background noise while allowing you to move from room to room. Up to 1,000 feet of range lets you stay connected to your baby from another room
- 5-LEVEL SOUND INDICATOR AND 2-WAY TALK-BACK INTERCOM - LEDs on the parent unit indicate the level of sound in your baby's room so you can visually monitor the noise level. The built-in intercom on the parent unit lets you talk to your baby from any room.DO NOT use cleaning spray or liquid cleaners
- NIGHT LIGHT ON THE BABY UNIT - A soothing light on the baby unit gently illuminates a dark nursery. Both the parent unit(s) and baby unit allow you to turn on or off the nighlight on the baby unit
- Best-in-class Battery Life and Range - With up to 19 hours of video streaming on a single charge, this system lets you monitor your baby throughout the night easily. During the day, this monitor system's dependable long operation range up to 1,000 feet, lets you go about your day and stays connected with your baby from another room or even from the yard.
- Privacy Guaranteed. No Wi-Fi or App Pairing - Trusted by US families for more than 3 decades, each VTech monitor is transmitted via secured internal 2.4GHz channel with FHSS technology, so you can rest assured that you're the only one who can hear and see your baby.
- 2.8" Display Seeing Your Baby in Full Sight Day and Night - The 2.8" display shows your adorable baby's body in full view - no movement is over-sighted. Need more detail? The camera zooms up to 2 times.
- ♥ 【Secure Baby Monitoring】Experience the Ultimate in Baby Monitoring Security with Our Advanced 2.4GHz FHSS and Digital Encryption Technology. No WiFi, No Apps, Your Privacy Can be Protected. With a Transmission Range of up to 1,000 Feet and Low Latency, You Can Track Your Baby's Every Move from anywhere in Your Home.
- ♥ 【Language Features】Our Baby Monitor Supports 8 Languages, Whether You Speak English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Russian, Portuguese or Dutch, Our Monitor Makes It Easy for Parents Around the World Use. So You Can Switch to Your Familiar Native Language or Give It as a Gift to Your Foreign Friends.
- ♥ 【5-Inch Large Screen】Effortlessly Monitor Your Baby With a 350° Horizontal, 120° Vertical Camera, and 2X Zoom. The 5-Inch Screen Offers Crystal-Clear Views. Enjoy Noise-Free Camera Rotation and Expand Your Coverage With Up to 4 Additional Cameras in Alternate Screen Modes.
- Large Split-Screen baby monitor with 2 remote cameras - iFamily video baby monitor has a 4.3” split-screen with 2 cameras. The baby camera can pan 355°& tilt 120°. You can place the baby cameras on table, wall or ceiling. The image can set 180°up side down. Range is 1000ft outdoor/ 150ft indoor.
- Secure and reliable connection- This baby monitor with camera and audio uses 2.4GHz FHSS connection. Ensuring that it is impossible for others to spy on your privacy through the monitor. No occupy wifi nor phone, you can monitor your baby while playing with your phone.
- Clear night vision & ECO mode- Auto infrared night vision of iFamily baby monitor is clear. Ensuring that you can see your baby in dark. ECO is a power saving mode. It will pause image transmission when the baby room is quieter than 56db and reactivate based on the sound of your baby room. You can set it off or change the sensitive level of the mode.
- 3.5" Large Display Seeing Your Baby in Viewing Control - We listened to the feedback from parents, guardians, nanny, and caregivers when manufacturing our video baby monitor.This baby monitor is equipment with 3.5 inch large display in consideration of smaller screen may be difficult to cover baby’s full view.The Kidsneed SM935A is a baby monitor with camera features such as Pan-Tilt-Zoom. With the controls, you can always have a clear view of your baby from any angle or a close look.
- Baby Monitor with Night Vision - Automatic night vision mode with clear greyscale infrared images lets you effortlessly check your baby's live situation as you stay in bed at dark night. Now, there is nothing stopping you from doting on your child all day and night with our video monitor.With up to 1200mAh big battery, this system lets you monitor your baby throughout the night on a single charge .
- Two Way Talk & Temperature Monitoring - The crystal clear two-way audio baby monitor camera allows conversation on both ends as clear as if you were in the same room with your little one. Choose from 4 relaxing lullabies that will help put your little one to sleep.The built-in temperature sensor on the baby camera will send alert to the parent unit. Lets you know when it’s time to adjust the thermostat.
I hope that this review of the top ten baby monitors of 2018, helps you pick out the best baby monitor for you and your family. By clicking on each individual review above, you can check out the price and features for that particular monitor. You can also see what parents who have bought that particular monitor think of it. Whatever you decide, I hope that using a baby monitor to watch your child can help you to sleep easier at night.
Last update on 2023-11-28 at 12:45 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API