If you are in the market for a baby monitor, it can be a confusing task. But, rest easy, because we’ve made it simpler for you by compiling what we believe are the top 10 best baby monitors on the market today. We’ve looked at the specifications of each monitor in detail. I hope this review makes it much simpler to pick out the best baby monitor for your family.
What Is A Baby Monitor?
A baby monitor, also known as a baby alarm, is a radio system. Its purpose is to be used to listen to the sounds made by a baby when you are in the other room. A baby monitor allows a parent to be in another room while their baby sleeps, without worrying that they won’t hear when their baby calls for them or wakes.
A baby monitor consists of a transmitter unit and microphone. It should be placed near the baby’s crib. The parent can then carry a receiver unit with a speaker so that he or she can hear the baby wherever they go. Some baby monitors have a two-way communication system, so that the parent and baby can talk back and forth to each other.
Types Of Baby Monitors
There are three main types of baby monitors. They are audio monitors, video monitors, and sensor/movement monitors.
Video Baby Monitor
A video baby monitor allows the parent to see the baby via use of a receiver that the parent carries with them. In the room where the baby is, the monitor will have a camera that can be pointed in the direction of the baby.
Wi-Fi Baby Monitor
A Wi-Fi baby monitor is a wireless monitor that allows you to watch your baby using a camera linked to an app on a smart phone or a tablet.
Baby Monitor Apps
A baby monitor app allows you to use your smart device to watch your baby using your camera-equipped device.
Audio Baby monitor
An audio baby monitor allows you to listen to the sounds made by the baby without actually being in the room.
Long-Range Baby monitor
A long-range baby monitor allows you to receive sounds and information about your baby from a further away distance than a regular baby monitor. A long-range baby monitor is useful for those who live in the country or a bigger house.
Baby Movement Monitor
Baby movement monitors vary greatly in features. You can buy one that simply monitors when your baby moves, or purchase one that keeps track of your baby’s heart rate and pulse. Parents of preemies sometimes like the baby movement monitors, because they let them keep track of their baby’s breathing. For some parents, this lets them rest a bit more.
A video/audio monitor allows you to both see and hear your infant from the baby monitor.
Common baby monitor features
Tips For Internet Safety When Using A Baby Monitor
Baby monitors nowadays are said to be safe from hackers. But it is not impossible for a hacker to find a way in to some baby monitors. For me, I’d want a 0% chance of that ever happening when it comes to the safety of my child. Here are some tips when it comes to internet safety and your baby monitor that can greatly decrease the chance of a hacker spying on your child:
- Conduct your own research of the monitor that you buy. Understand which features make certain monitors more secure than others.
- Know the difference between direct-sequence spread spectrum (DSSS) and frequency-hopping spread spectrum (FHSS). Each one has it’s one unique security features, but it’s generally believed that FHSS is the most secure. FHSS limits outside access by randomly hopping frequencies at a very fast rate. With FHSS, it is much harder for a hacker to establish a connection than it is with DSSS.
- Update software regularly. When you see updates pop up, those are made to slow hackers down. Keep your device updated with the latest protection software.
- Secure your network. Every once in a while change your password. Also, make sure it is not a simple password to figure out. The more complex, the better.
How To Use A Baby Monitor App
Each baby monitor app is going to have its own set of unique features along with their own prices. They are easy and fast to download onto your phone. A baby monitor app will allow you to tap into your baby monitor camera so that you can watch your baby by using the internet as the carrier.
What To Consider Before Purchasing A Baby Monitor
What Makes You Comfortable
Before buying a baby monitor, think about if you can get by with an audio monitor, or if you want to see your baby to monitor their movements, pulse, and heart rate.
Which Monitor is Best
What’s best for one parent might not be best for another parent. Each situation is different. A parent that wants to be able to walk to the laundry room and still hear their baby, will need something different from someone who needs to know their baby’s heart rate. Make sure to click on each individual monitor review to view its unique features and specifications. This should help to make your decision easier.
Other Baby Monitor Uses
More and more baby monitors are being used by pet owners to watch their pets while they are away. Some baby monitors along with phone apps even allow you to talk to your pet. All you will need is an internet wifi connection and you can watch your dog, cat, horse, alpacas, etc. from work or anytime that you are not with them. This can give a pet owner great comfort by relieving the stress associated over wondering if their fur-babies are doing ok when they aren’t there with them.
If you have an older adult such as a grandparent who is still independent but you want to keep an eye on, a monitor may be just the answer. A baby monitor will allow you to monitor them to see if they have fallen or need help. You can also communicate to a senior through some of the monitors which allow two-way communication.
- 🍹【5" Larger HD Display & Infrared Night Vision】SUPERUNCLE Baby Monitor includes a 5 Inch screen and a 1920*1080 resolution camera. The baby camera monitor picks up voice and captures every moment of your baby while the monitor offers a clearer real-time video and audio. Besides, the night vision and zooming in functions ensure vivid display of baby's sleeping state at dark night and you can also check more details.
- 🍹【1000ft Range Strong Transmission & SD Card Storage】The Video Baby Monitor features stable and wide transmission range up to 1000ft (300m) in barrier-free areas, lower latency and higher stability. The baby camera supports FAT32 SD card storage (Max. 128G), so you can record funny videos or take screenshots via the monitor or the “CloundEdge” App on your mobile phone.
- 🍹【AES128 Upgraded Security Protection】The WiFi Baby Monitor adopts AES128 encryption and 2.4 GHz FHSS wireless transmission technology to give you additional layers of security. You can check the browsing records that external network accesses to the camera from the monitor, and control the switch of the external network connection. This ensures that no one else can tap into your monitor and see what’s going on in your house without your permission.
- Additional Camera Unit pairs with Infant Optics DXR-8 PRO
- Not compatible with DXR-8 (3.5" model)
- Remote pan/tilt/zoom, night vision, remote thermometer, interchangeable lens
- Two way video and audio
- Unlimited Range (WiFi, 3G, 4G, LTE, 5G)
- Super sensitive audio
- CLEAR AUDIO AND LONG RANGE - DECT 6.0 technology provides clear audio transmission, eliminating annoying background noise while allowing you to move from room to room. Up to 1,000 feet of range lets you stay connected to your baby from another room
- 5-LEVEL SOUND INDICATOR AND 2-WAY TALK-BACK INTERCOM - LEDs on the parent unit indicate the level of sound in your baby's room so you can visually monitor the noise level. The built-in intercom on the parent unit lets you talk to your baby from any room.DO NOT use cleaning spray or liquid cleaners
- NIGHT LIGHT ON THE BABY UNIT - A soothing light on the baby unit gently illuminates a dark nursery. Both the parent unit(s) and baby unit allow you to turn on or off the nighlight on the baby unit
- HD 720p big screen with 4x zoom - The large 5'' HD 720p resolution color screen coupled with a sharp picture with 10 times more details than ordinary 240p display baby monitors, allowing you to keep an eye on your baby more clearly. Need a closer look? The bonoch baby monitor 2x to 4x zoom capabilities let you see your baby up-close. (*Note：It is recommended to remove the scratch-resistant protective film of the screen before use.)
- No worries about night time and 22 hours battery life - The auto night vision feature provides black and white images on the video baby monitor at night to see your little one clearly, even in a pitch dark room. No red dot or red light from the camera will cause any disturbance to your baby. 4000 mAh built-in battery makes all-day monitoring easy, keep an eye from day to night.
- Secure no wifi connection you can trust - The 2.4GHz FHSS wireless connection ensures a secure and private live-stream that is only for you. Protect you, your family, and your privacy. No WiFi, No app downloading or account creation required. Easy to set up, plug in and use.
I hope that this review of the top ten baby monitors of 2018, helps you pick out the best baby monitor for you and your family. By clicking on each individual review above, you can check out the price and features for that particular monitor. You can also see what parents who have bought that particular monitor think of it. Whatever you decide, I hope that using a baby monitor to watch your child can help you to sleep easier at night.
Last update on 2020-10-16 at 11:21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API