Are you looking for an easy and effective way to calm your baby down? Then a baby pacifier may be the right choice for you! Though it may seem like you can just get any old baby pacifier, that is not always the case. Today we are reviewing the top ten baby pacifiers of 2018. Simply click on the individual reviews beside each pacifier to read about the unique specifications and details for each.
Here Are The Best Baby Pacifiers of 2018!
Dr. Brown's One Piece Silicone Pacifier
Philip's AVENT Soothie Pacifier
Wubbanub Afrique Elephant Pacifier
Tinabless Baby Food Feeder Infant Teething Toy Nibbler
MAM Trends 3 Piece Orthodontic Pacifier
Natursutten BPA-Free Natural Rubber Pacifier
NUK 3-Piece Orthodontic Pacifier
The First Years GumDrop Newborn Pacifier
Philip's AVENT Translucent Orthodontic Infant Pacifier
Funny Baby Pacifier Cute Kissable Mustache Pacifier For Babies and Toddlers
What Is A Pacifier?
A pacifier, also known as a binky, is a rubber or plastic silicone nipple given to babies to suck on. The most standard baby pacifier has a nipple, mouth shield, and handle. Some pacifiers have little animals or a decorative look to them.
Types of Baby Pacifiers
This is the main type of pacifier. It is also the most common pacifier on the market. It is called a multiple piece pacifier because it has a nipple, guard, and handle.
Another type of pacifier is a single piece pacifier, also known as a one-piece pacifier. These pacifiers are made from only one piece as the name suggests.
A novelty pacifier is a baby pacifier that has a mustache or funny design on it.
Stuffed Animal Pacifier
These are baby pacifiers that have stuffed animals attached to the end of them. That way, your baby can hold their favorite animal as they use their pacifier.
A feeding pacifier can be used once your baby hits 6 months. You can place a liquid, like juice, in it and freeze. Then, as your baby sucks on the pacifier, they get the nutrients from the juice.
These, just like their name suggests, are pacifiers that are able to glow in the dark. These come in handy if you lose the baby pacifier behind an object or if your baby needs to use the pacifier in a dark car.
- If a baby pacifier is used correctly, it can be perfectly safe, but, as with any baby product, it's always smart to use caution.
- Make sure to never tie the pacifier around anything. The string could get tangled around your baby's neck.
- Do not put sugar on your baby's pacifier. This is not healthy for babies, and can lead to a host of problems including cavities.
- Make sure to use baby pacifiers that have passed safety codes. All the products we have reviewed above have met the safety code.
- Lastly, don't try to make your own baby pacifier.
Best Pacifiers for Newborns, Breastfed Babies, Preemies, and Toddlers
Many companies will say that they have the best pacifier for all stages of your baby's development. I've covered in detail the products above in their individual reviews. The biggest factor is going to be size. A preemie is going to need a much smaller pacifier than a toddler. For a preemie, make sure to talk it over with your doctor to make sure it's safe for your preemie to be using a baby pacifier.
How Many Pacifiers Do You Need?
You really only need one baby pacifier at a time. However, if you choose to utilize a baby pacifier regularly with your child, there is a good chance you could lose or misplace it. Some parents like to keep several on hand just in case. So the choice is ultimately up to you, but the last thing you need is a crying baby who wants his or her lost pacifier.
Advantages and Disadvantages
- Puts Baby To Sleep
- Calms A Crying Child
What To Look For When Buying A Baby Pacifier?
When buying a baby pacifier, you will want to get the correct size. A general rule of thumb is using the small size for 6 months and younger, medium size for 6 to 18 months, and large for 18 months and older.
You'll also want to make sure that your pacifier is constructed well. I'd be very careful of purchasing a home-made pacifier that has not passed any safety standards. If a piece of it comes off, it could choke your baby.
Pacifiers normally come in three distinct materials:
- Most common and easiest to clean
- Softer and more flexible.
- Hard Plastic
- Not easy to clean, and could develop a jagged edge.
When Should I Introduce The Pacifier?
There are a wide range of beliefs about when is the right time to introduce a baby pacifier to your child. Some nurses at hospitals will give your baby a pacifier right away. So, if you would like to limit your baby's interaction with the pacifier at a young age, make sure that the hospital doesn't give your baby one. Have an open discussion with your spouse to figure out the right time to introduce the pacifier to your child.
If you are breastfeeding:
- Some experts believe it's best to wait until your baby is breastfeeding well to introduce the pacifier. Whether you choose to wait or start him or her right away, make sure that you keep track of your baby's weight. If he or she is not gaining enough weight, it may be a good idea to discontinue pacifier usage.
If you are bottle feeding:
- If you are bottle feeding, introduce the pacifier once you know that your baby is gaining enough consistent weight.
- Silicone, orthodontic nipple
- Recommended for babies 3 months and up
- Complies with EEC Directive 90/128/EEC
- The pacifier brand distributed in hospitals nationwide
- Used by medical professionals to calm newborns
- BPA free
- Material: Silicone / BPA free and FDA tested. Large Silicone sac makes for easy cleaning, does not retain odors, encourages chewing, more natural, cleaner and comfortable for the baby. Just shut the snap lock to start baby feeding and reduce aching sore gums
- Works best with frozen fruit, Vege, ice cube, breast milk to soothe teething pain and massage baby's gum. This award-winning weaning gift sensory toys is easy to clean unlike mesh bag
- Infant, babies, kids will be excited with the rattle sound that this feeder makes. They just have to place their hands on the holder and will be able to teethe, feed, soothe themselves
- Billy May, Billy May Collection 1939-60
- Audio CD
- Trusted by hospitals
- Unique silicone design stays clear of baby's button nose
- Easily works with most pacifier attachers
I hope that our review of the top ten best baby pacifiers of 2018, can help you decide what pacifier is best for your child. Remember to click on the links above to read our individual assessments for each baby pacifier.