Some parents say that after diapers, a baby swing is their most important baby item. While it's not necessary by any means, it sure can make life fun for your baby and make your house more peaceful. When a baby is happy, everyone is happy.
A baby swing is used for the first 6 months or so of your baby's life. Most babies love to be held, but sometimes parents need a break to cook dinner or do some house cleaning. If you are wondering what the best baby swings on the market are, you've come to the right place! We have created a list of what we believe to be the top 10 best baby swings of 2018.
What Is A Baby Swing?
A baby swing is a motorized device that allows your baby to comfortably recline while being swung back and forth. Baby swings have a 5 point harness system that keeps them safely in the swing while they rock back and forth. Many baby swings have features such as melodies and also different swing speeds to choose from.
Benefits Of Having A Baby Swing
Baby swings can provide relief for those babies that suffer from gas, reflux, and/or constipation. Because the the seat is at a recline, the swing positions the baby at a comfortable angle to help get rid of those painful problems.
Types Of Baby Swings
Modern Baby Swings
Generally smaller in size and easy to compact and travel with.
Traditional Baby Swings
Tend to take up a larger surface area. Most do fold down, but they still take up a lot of space in comparison to modern baby swings.
Manual Baby Swings
These swings operate by mom or dad pushing them.
Electric Baby Swings
These swings are operated by a motor. Most also have a battery-operated option.
Important Features Of Baby Swings
When picking out a baby swing, you may want to keep an eye out for important features. I've put together a list of some below!
Multiple Seating Positions
Each baby is unique and will prefer sitting at different angles. Also, as a baby grows, he or she will naturally want to sit up at a higher incline. Having seats that adjust are a real plus.
Plug-In Or Battery Options
When you are at home with the swing, it may be nice to plug it into an electrical outlet. But, when you are away from an outlet like at a picnic, or camping trip, it's nice to have the battery option.
There is no one in the world now, or ever, that will be quite like your baby. Some babies like to swing with the vibration on high, while some don't want any vibration at all. It's nice to have different vibration settings.
Most babies don't like to be squished into a seat. Make sure that the baby swing seat is roomy enough for your baby to swing comfortably.
Multiple Swinging Speeds/Paces
About 30 years ago, baby swings had two speeds, slow or break neck speed. Nowadays, swings have more than two settings which is an added bonus to you and your baby.
Mobile Plus Toys
Toys are always nice to have with babies. Some swings come with mobile type toys. This is a nice feature to utilize when your baby is wide awake or needing something to stare at when falling asleep.
Five Point Harness To Keep Child Secure
You will want to make sure that your baby swing has a five point harness system to keep your child from falling out or leaning forward. This is a standard on swings manufactured today.
Melodies or Nature Sounds
Most swings come with melodies or nature sounds for you and your baby to choose from. These are nice because you can choose to have the sound on or turned off. If this is an important feature to you, make sure that the swing you pick out has this option.
What Are the Differences Between a Baby Swing, Bouncer, and Rocker?
This allows the baby to bounce.
This will swing the baby.
This creates a rocking motion that your baby can enjoy.
Do You Need A Baby Swing and Bouncer?
This is a common question, and I am sorry to report that there is no hard and fast answer. It's an individual choice really. Some parents say that their baby just loves the baby swing, while others argue that a baby bouncer is the way to go. Check out our reviews on baby bouncers to consider all your options. And, don't be afraid to purchase both if you think your baby will benefit from both.
When Do You Need A Baby Swing?
You do not need a baby swing to raise a happy and healthy baby. However, a baby swing can be a fun and useful item to have. Some parents like to set up the baby swing in the kitchen for when they are cooking, or in the bedroom. Remember that a baby swing does not replace the loving arms of a parent.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission ( CPSC) has recommendations for the use of baby swings. The recommendations are being continuously updated. Here are some recommendations.
- Never leave your baby unattended in a baby swing.
- Use in full recline until your baby is at least 4 months of age. Make sure that he or she can hold his or her head up unassisted before raising the recline.
- Only use a swing until the baby is able to sit up unassisted. At this time, the baby has outgrown a baby swing.
- Always make sure that your baby is securely fastened in the harness.
- Make sure to follow all of the manufacturers directions.
- Do not use the swing for overnight sleeping or extended napping.
Things To Consider Before Buying
Make sure that the baby swing has passed the Consumer Product Safety Commission Standards.
Machine Washable Fabric
You may want to make sure that the fabric is machine washable. Baby's often have spit up and diaper accidents, so be prepared to make your baby swing easy to wash.
Ease of Use
No one is going to want to buy something that is hard to use. A baby swing is no different. Make sure that the harness system works easily and is portable in case you will be using the swing on the go.
- 2 ways to swing! Side to side or head to toe
- 2 comfy recline positions
- 6 swing speeds, 16 soothing songs & nature sounds
- Plug in option allows you to save money on batteries while using your infant swing. Also takes D Batteries, Care Excessive exposure to sun or heat could cause fading or warping of parts
- This baby swings small frame design fits in any room of your home so you can easily keep baby close wherever you are
- Gentle, side to side swaying motion soothes and comforts baby. 2 speed vibration to help keep your baby calm and relaxed
- Easy-in hinged T-bar
- Stay-put shoulder straps hold baby securely in place
- As the child grows and doesn't require the T-bar or straps, they store conveniently out of the way
- 2 products in 1: Removable infant swing seat doubles as a rocker
- 3 seating positions so baby can sway side-to-side or swing front-to-back
- Rocker carry-handle allows you to keep baby by your side
- Tackle to dos while baby rests in comfort by your side
- Made in CHINA
- 6 extra quiet swing speed options
A baby swing can be a useful and fun piece of equipment to have. Make sure to always monitor your baby when they are in your baby swing. I hope that these reviews can help you to pick out the perfect baby swing for you and your little one!