A baby’s skin is very sensitive. And the skin has a lifetime of wear and tear that it needs to get through. It’s essential that you start your baby off right by protecting one of the most vulnerable organs on the human body, the skin. I’m going to go over the basics of baby sunscreen so that you can pick out what is best for your infant.
We have helped your shopping process by selecting the ten best baby sunscreens on the market today. For more information on each product, click the individual review button in the table below.
Here Are The Best Baby Sunscreens of 2018!
Thinkbaby Safe Sunscreen SPF 50+
Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen – Baby Sunscreen SPF 30+ Broad Spectrum UVA/UVB Protection
CeraVe Baby Sunscreen SPF 45 3.5 oz
Babyganics Mineral-Based Baby Sunscreen Spray
Aveeno Baby Continuous Protection Zinc Oxide Mineral Sunscreen Lotion
Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby Mineral Sunscreen Lotion
Coppertone WaterBabies Sunscreen Quick Cover Lotion Spray
Baby Sunscreen Cream by Badger
Burt’s Bees Baby Nourishing Mineral Sunscreen
Sunblocz Baby + Kids Sunscreen Lotion (4.0 oz.) 50 SPF Reef-Safe Mineral-Based Sunblock
Features of Baby Sunscreen
Gentler Than Regular Sunscreen
Unlike the sunscreen that adults use, baby sunscreen is much gentler and does not contain any chemicals. The latest baby sunscreens are now zinc-only since zinc is naturally in our bodies and is therefore safe to apply.
Great For Preventing Sunburns
If you are concerned about sunburns reaching your baby, yet don’t want to use regular sunscreen, baby sunscreen is a great choice. Not only is it chemical-free and much gentler, but it also blocks out the sun just as effectively as adult sunscreen.
Many Different Types
Some people may be mistaken and think that there is only one type of sunscreen. But this is not true. There are many different types of sunscreens, and all of them serve a different purpose.
Different Types of Baby Sunscreen
Before we go into the actual types of baby sunscreen, let’s first take a look at the forms that baby sunscreens come in.
The most popular type of baby sunscreen comes in a lotion. This type gets rubbed in on the skin. This sunscreen is the best type for sun protection since you can rub in as much as you want.
Sunscreen sprays can work well for those who don’t have time to rub the sunscreen onto their baby. Keep in mind that baby sunscreen spray can be dangerous to inhale. Therefore you would need to instruct your child to hold his breath while you spray it on. Because babies can’t hold their breath, you should wait to use this type of sunscreen until your baby is much older.
This type of sunscreen is like a blend between lotion and spray. It comes out much as a spray sunscreen does, but it needs to be rubbed in.
What Type of Sunscreen Is Best To Use?
When it comes to which baby sunscreen you should use, there is no right and wrong. If your baby has sensitive skin, you may want to go with a natural sunscreen for babies or organic baby sunscreen. That said, studies and research have shown that the best sunscreen for babies is the Broad Spectrum sunscreen.
Broad Spectrum baby sunscreens protect against UVA and UVB rays. This type of sunscreen is a great option because both types of rays can be very dangerous and can lead to skin cancer.
Natural baby sunscreen does not contain harmful chemicals, and a lot of natural sunscreens are organic. This type of sunscreen is great for babies with sensitive skin but can be used with any child.
If you are going to the beach or pool, a water-resistant sunscreen may be a good option. Even if your baby isn’t near water, he may still sweat and need this type of sunscreen.
Sunblock is made of minerals and is considered healthier than sunscreen since it does not contain chemicals. Rather than blocking out most sun rays as sunscreen does, sunblock will redirect the rays. This type of sun protection is an excellent option for those who want to go more natural and be healthier.
How To Put Sunscreen on a Baby
The way you apply sunscreen to a baby is similar to kids sunscreen and adult sunscreen. But because your baby is smaller, you won’t need to apply as much baby sunscreen. Make sure to apply some sunscreen on your baby’s head, especially if your baby doesn’t have hair yet. Also, make sure you reapply the sunscreen every two hours.
What Age Should You Start Using Sunscreen?
Many people wonder when you can put sunscreen on a baby. It is recommended by doctors not to apply sunscreen to your child until they are at least 6 months old. However, some people have used sunscreen anyways and their baby was fine. Although there is no infant sunscreen, you can buy sunscreen that is more gentle for young babies. One of the best sunscreen for babies under 6 months is the Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen. Customers who have bought it say it works great for young babies, and can act as an infant sunscreen.
- AUSTRALIAN-STRENGTH SUNSCREEN – Our classic Regular sunscreen: Born in Australia, made in the USA
- ALWAYS MINERAL-BASED – Combining mineral and chemical UV protectors for water-resistant performance you can trust
- DERMATOLOGIST-RECOMMENDED BROAD SPECTRUM UVA/UVB SPF 30+ – Mineral active Zinc Oxide provides true broad spectrum protection
The Top Tips for Keeping Your Baby Safe In The Sun
Stay In the Shade
If your baby will be outside, try finding him or her a shady spot. When your baby is in the shade, your baby will most likely be much cooler. It is important to keep your baby cool, because a baby doesn’t have the ability to regulate temperature like an adult, and the area of the brain that does this will not mature until age five. So until your baby is older, you must keep him cool by having him sit in the shade on hot days.
Wear Sunglasses and Protective Clothing
Sunglasses can prevent the sun from damaging your baby’s eyes from the harsh rays of the sun. Protective clothing can help protect your baby’s skin. It is vital that your baby is dressed properly so that he doesn’t get a sunburn.
Throughout the day, you will want to hydrate your baby. If you are breastfeeding, you won’t need to offer water since your breast milk will naturally become more watery during the heat. But if you are bottle feeding, you will need to provide water for your baby. Remember to give little sips to your child throughout the day, instead of offering large amounts of water just a couple of times.
Sunscreen Tips For When Your Baby Has Eczema
If your baby has eczema, you will want to be more careful when applying sunscreen. You may also want to buy a specific type or brand of sunscreen that works well for children with eczema. One such baby sunscreen is the Aveeno Baby Sunscreen. It is known to work well for those with sensitive skin. Here are some other tips to follow and try:
- Avoid sunscreen with fragrances, as this can cause irritation.
- Apply emollient 30 minutes before applying sunscreen, so that the sun won’t dry out the sunscreen.
- Avoid buying sunscreen that is thick and oily, as this can irritate.
- Try to avoid applying sunscreen where it could get mixed with the sand. If sand sticks to your child’s skin, it can be very painful.
- Watch your baby to make sure he doesn’t react to the sunscreen. If at any point the sunscreen seems to hurt your child, try going with a different brand or type.
Should You Use Waterproof Sunscreen
- Tear-free and alcohol free
- Very water resistant
If your baby will be near the water or will be sweating on a hot day, waterproof sunscreen may be a good choice. Keep in mind that waterproof sunscreen is not completely waterproof. In fact, the word “waterproof” is no longer allowed to be used on sunscreen products. Instead, they are called water resistant. This is because you will probably need to reapply it after your baby gets out of the water. If you are wanting the best waterproof sunscreen, you may want to try Banana Boat Baby Sunscreen. The Banana Boat Baby Sunscreen is water-resistant and may work well. Another baby sunscreen that is water-resistant is the Coppertone Baby Sunscreen.
- Broad Spectrum SPF 50
- UVA/UVB Protection
- Instant Water Resistant Protection
What Other Accessories Should You Have On Hand
If you will be taking your baby out in the sun, you will want to dress him properly. Besides wearing sunscreen, here are some other accessories to have on hand:
- Lightweight clothes
- Lightweight blanket
The Difference Between Sunscreen and Sunblock
You may be wondering what the difference is between sunscreen and sunblock. Both types prevent harmful sun rays from sunburning you, but there is indeed a difference. Sunscreen is made of smaller particles that absorb into the skin, and will keep most rays out. However, sunscreen does allow some rays to come in. Sunblock, on the other hand, is usually made of minerals that block all rays and redirect the rays so that they don’t damage your baby’s skin.
- 3-fluid ounce tube of Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby Mineral Sunscreen Lotion with Broad Spectrum SPF 50 provides baby with superior sun protection against harmful UVA & UVB rays to help prevent sunburn
- Specially formulated baby mineral sunscreen lotion is made with naturally-sourced 100% zinc oxide and contains Purescreen Technology to absorb, reflect and scatter dangerous sunrays
- This baby zinc sunscreen is made with a unique tear-free formula so it won't sting eyes and is free of fragrance, parabens, phthalates, dyes and irritating chemicals
Studies and research have shown that sunblock may be healthier than sunscreen since it doesn’t contain all those chemicals. But since baby sunscreen does not contain those chemicals either, both types are just as safe. If you want to buy baby sunblock, one of the best sunblocks for babies is the Neutrogena Baby Sunscreen. Although it is called a sunscreen, it is mineral based and healthier than most sunscreens.
Should You Use Natural Sunscreen?
If your child has sensitive skin, or if you want to avoid chemicals found in regular baby sunscreens, natural sunscreen for babies is a good choice. A lot of the chemicals found in baby sunscreen can be harmful to your baby and may hurt your baby’s skin. By applying a natural sunscreen to your baby as an alternative, your baby’s skin and health will not be at risk. Natural sunscreen is considered the safest sunscreen for babies, besides some natural baby sunscreens are organic, which a lot of people like.
- Twin pack with two 3-fluid ounce tubes of Aveeno Baby Continuous Protection Sensitive Skin Sunscreen Lotion with SPF 50 for superior broad spectrum protection from harmful UVA and UVB rays for your little one's skin
- This effective mineral sunscreen lotion is as mild as water to skin and applies to baby's skin easily to lock in moisture without stinging or irritation. It's suitable for use on both the face and body
- Specially formulated for baby's delicate skin, it contains naturally-sourced 100% zinc oxide active ingredient and skin-soothing oat, and is both sweat- and water-resistant for up to 80 minutes
- BABY BUM SPF 50 SUNSCREEN LOTION. Our convenient, travel sized sunscreen is 100% mineral based protection for your little ones. The lotion applies and absorbs easily to face and body with a non-oily feel for UVA/UVB protection.
- GENTLE, PLANT-BASED SKIN CARE. Our plant-based formula contains natural zinc oxide, coconut oil, shea butter and cocoa butter to nourish and hydrate all skin types. Vegan, Cruelty, Gluten and Dye Free to meet the needs of delicate baby skin.
- HOW TO USE. Dispense into hands and apply directly to skin, covering all areas, and rub in until absorbed. Apply 15 minutes before sun. Reapply after 80 minutes of swimming, and immediately after a towel dry.
- Contains 2 6-oz tubes
- REEF SAFE: Made without oxybenzone and octinoxate.
- Formulated without: PABA, phthalates, parabens, fragrances or nano particles
- [ BROAD SPECTRUM UVA UVB PROTECTION ] 100% Mineral based sunscreen, or physical sunscreen, reflects UVA/UVB rays to help protect skin. Formulated with zinc oxide and titanium dioxide to be gentle on baby's delicate skin. Water resistant (80 minutes)
- [ HYDRATING BABY SUNSCREEN ] Formulated with Hyaluronic Acid to retain skin's natural moisture and Niacinamide to help calm skin
- [ ESSENTIAL CERAMIDES ] Ceramides are found naturally in the skin and make up 50% of the lipids in the skin barrier. All CeraVe products are formulated with three essential ceramides (1, 3, 6-II) to help restore and maintain the skin’s natural barrier
- #1 Pediatrician recommended sunscreen brand; This pure & simple formula is tear free, mineral based and free of fragrance, PABA, oils, dyes and oxybenzone; Protect your baby's skin from the sun with this gentle and hypoallergenic sunscreen that's dermatologist-tested; Stays on strong in the water (water resistant 80 minutes); Use and reapply as directed
- Delivering broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection, this mild sunscreen contains zinc oxide and won't irritate your child's skin
- Apply to your baby's skin whenever the fun takes you outside, whether it's a day at the beach or playing by the pool
Best Sun Protective Clothing
Besides sunscreen, you may want to have your baby wear sun protective clothing. This means that the clothing will block out the sun’s rays. Here are some of the best sun protective clothing to check out.
- Baby Beach One-Piece Swimsuit :Give Your Little The Sun Protection
- 3 Months(0-3 Months,up to 6kg)
- 6 Months(3-6 Months,up to 8kg)
- This one piece swimsuit is a great option since it allows your baby to play in the water as well as block out harmful rays. The sleeves are long so that your child’s arms don’t get sun burnt.
- The UV Sun Protective Baby Girls Swimsuit is made for baby girls and comes with a sun hat. Once again, this is a swimsuit, which makes it great for those days at the beach or pool.
- Do you want a sun hat that is sun protective? It may be best to invest in a sunhat or a hat that blocks out UV rays.
- Material: 85% Polyester Fiber and 15% Chinlon
- Baby little girls 3pcs cactus swimsuit sunsuit,long sleeve zipper closured top,stripe pants with hat
- Girls rash guard swimsuit, effectively resist ultraviolet ray, protect children's skin
I’ve gone over all that you need to know when picking out baby sunscreen. Remember that in addition to sunscreen, it’s important to keep your baby in the shade, especially when the sun is at full strength. Also, dress your baby in protective clothing.
I hope that our article can help you make the best choice of baby sunscreen for your child!
Last update on 2020-10-16 at 07:21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API