Video Baby Monitor FAQ
1. What Is a Video Baby Monitor?
A video baby monitor, as the name suggests, is an electronic device that allows you to check in on your baby remotely through a video screen.
2. What Are the Advantages of Owning a Video Baby Monitor?
The benefits are endless. Owning a video baby monitor gives you much more freedom as a parent, allowing you to see how your baby is doing from an entirely different room. This means you can carry on with your work, do some chores, or relax in other parts of your home with instant visual access to your baby. It also means you no longer need to risk waking your baby every single time you want to check in.
3. What Are the Different Types of Baby Monitors?
Baby monitors can be split into two general groups: audio and video/audio. This article focuses on the latter type, but if you are interested in exploring your options, here is a complete list of the specific kinds of monitors on the market:
- Audio monitors
- Analog monitors
- Digital monitors
- Video/audio monitors
- Wireless network monitors
4. Where Can You Buy Them?
With how common they have become in modern households, baby monitors are not difficult to find. You can buy them in most stores that carry baby products as well as on online sites like Amazon.
5. What Features Can I Expect from the Best Video Baby Monitors?
- Digitally Enhanced Cordless Telecommunications (DECT) technology
- Rechargeable batteries
- Handheld audio/video parent units
- Night vision
- Temperature sensors
- Motion and sound sensors
- Sound and lights
- Out-of-range indicator
- Low-battery indicator
- Extra receivers
- Compatibility with multiple cameras
- Volume control
How We Reviewed
The following products were reviewed based on the following parameters: Features, Pros & Cons, Where to Buy, and Warranty. We chose these parameters because they allow us to evaluate these ten video baby monitors in the most comprehensive and least biased way possible without bogging our readers down with unnecessary details. We believe that, with these criteria, our reviews strike the ideal balance between being informative and respectful of your time.
What We Reviewed
- Infant Optics DXR-8 Video Baby Monitor
- Hello Baby Wireless Video Baby Monitor
- MobiCam Wireless Baby Camera Monitor
- Summer Infant Video Baby Monitor
- Philips AVENT Video Baby Monitor
- Nest Security Camera
- Motorola MBP36 Video Baby Monitor
- Babysense Video Baby Monitor
- iBaby Premium Baby Monitor M6S
- Nanit Smart Baby Monitor, Wall Mount
Infant Optics DXR-8 Video Baby Monitor
- 2020 AWARD WINNER: Babylist Best Baby Monitors of 2020 *(awarded on January 8, 2020)
- PERFECT SIZE & WEIGHT RATIO - no large batteries to power energy-hungry large screens. The DXR-8 is light-weight and portable, designed for true mobility around the house. 10-hr battery life on power-saving mode, 6-hr with screen on
- FULL VIEWING CONTROL - The DXR-8 is a baby monitor with camera features such as pan/tilt/digital zoom and interchangeable lens. Fit the zoom lens to see even closer, or zoom out with the wide angle lens. Expandable up to 4 cameras
The Infant Optics DXR-8 Video Baby Monitor is the first monitor on the market that comes with interchangeable optical lens functionality. This means that with the DXR-8, you can fully customize your viewing angles and zoom. It allows remote panning, tilting, and digital zooming. It comes with a large 3.5″ full color LCD display and an aluminum optical zoom lens. It features a long battery life of 10 hours on power-saving mode and 6 hours with the screen on.
- Comes with a low-battery alert
- Allows tilting, panning, and zooming
- Features night vision
- Comes with a room temperature sensor
- Has a convenient talk-back function
- Easy to set up and use
- Requires 2 AAA batteries
- Limited mounting options (only 1 screw)
The Infant Optics DXR-8 Baby Monitor comes with a limited 1-year warranty.
Hello Baby Wireless Video Baby Monitor
The Hello Baby Wireless Video Baby Monitor runs on a frequency of 2.4GHZ to provide clear video and sound without signal drop outs. It offers night vision in black and white, and it has a range of up to 960 feet without any barriers. The Hello Baby is compatible with up to 4 cameras at a time and features an easy, plug-and-play setup process. It comes with a large-capacity battery that provides 8 hours of monitoring with the screen on. It features the VOX mode, which saves enough power to stretch out its battery life to 12 hours. It also features temperature monitoring, optical panning, 8 levels of alarms, and sound activation.
- Wide variety of features, including temperature monitoring, panning/zooming, alarms, LED sound activation, and two-way talk
- Has a screen-off audio-only mode
- Comes with 8 levels of alarms
- Easy setup process
- Compatible with up to 4 cameras
- Impressive battery life
- Can sometimes have audio feedback
- Average zoom view quality
The Hello Baby Wireless Video Baby Monitor comes with a limited 1-year warranty.
MobiCam Wireless Baby Camera Monitor
The MobiCam Wireless Baby Camera Monitor is fully compatible with IOS and Android, meaning you can monitor your video and audio through your phone. It provides seamless HD video and audio with offline and online recording delivered via your WiFi network. It features night vision up to 40 feet, recording for up to 20 days at a time, two-way audio, and an encryption video lock for the ultimate privacy.
- Stores up to 20 days of recordings
- Offers night vision up to 40 feet
- Compatible with smartphones
- Can be used outside the home
- Compact and convenient
- Wireless connectivity can be buggy
- MicroSD card sold separately
The MobiCam Wireless Baby Camera Monitor comes with a limited 90-day warranty.
Summer Infant Video Baby Monitor
The Summer Infant Video Baby Monitor features automatic night vision, digital zoom, and an impressive range of up to 600 feet. It is compatible with up to four cameras at a time with an easy setup process. Its screen size is an ample 5 inches. It allows two-way communication, so you can soothe your baby to sleep from the other end of your home. It comes with sound-activated LED lights, battery and range indicators, a power-saving mode, a kick stand, a belt clip, a wall anchor, and security clips.
- Four-camera compatibility
- Two-way communication
- Night vision
- 600-foot range
- Soun-activated LED
- Difficult to find in stock
- No temperature monitor
The Summer Infant Video Monitor comes with a limited 1-year warranty.
Philips AVENT Video Baby Monitor
- A secure private connection to your baby with DECT technology that guarantees zero interference, clear souund, with range up to 900 feet
- Parent unit is outlet or battery powered
- Talk back feature to stay connected
The Philips AVENT Baby Monitor features Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum (FHSS) technology to minimize interference. It has a 3.5″ color screen with 2x zoom and a range of 300 meters. The monitor includes a temperature sensor, so you can keep an eye on the climate in your baby’s room. It is wall mountable and voice activated.
- Features FHSS technology for reduced interference
- Comes with a temperature monitor
- Includes VOX mode for a longer battery life
- Mediocre range
The Philips AVENT comes with a limited 2-year warranty.
Nest Security Camera
The Nest Security Camera is fully compatible with Alexa, allowing for convenient voice control. It has a built-in speaker and microphone, providing easy two-way communication, and it includes a built-in magnet, making setup a breeze. You can also unscrew the camera from its base to attach it to a tripod. It is designed for the modern home, fully compatible with smart light bulbs, washers, and dryers. It is also compatible with smartphones, making this perfect for parents on the go.
- 24/7 live streaming
- Compatible with smartphones
- Two-way audio
- Cloud storage
- 1080p video quality
- Somewhat buggy performance
- Poor customer service
- Requires monthly subscription for full use
The Nest Security Camera comes with a limited 2-year warranty.
Motorola MBP36 Video Baby Monitor
The Motorola MBP36 features 2.4GHZ FHSS wireless technology, infrared night vision, room temperature monitoring, five polyphonic lullabies, remote camera adjustment, 5 LED alerts for noise level, and a frame rate of 25FPS. It has a range of 200 meters.
- Includes five polyphonic lullabies to help your baby sleep
- Room temperature monitor
- Night vision
- Mediocre build quality
- Poor durability
- On the more expensive side
The Motorola MBP36 comes with a limited 1-year warranty.
Babysense Video Baby Monitor
The Babysense Video Baby Monitor features a 2.4-inch high quality color LCD display with enhanced 2.4GHz FHSS technology, two-way talk-back communication, infrared night vision, temperature monitoring, voice activation, alarm settings, 2x digital zoom, multi-camera compatibility, and lullabies. It has a long range of 900 feet and comes with a warning function to let you know when you are out of range. It can be set up on top of tables or mounted on your wall.
- Compatible with up to four cameras
- Night vision
- Range of 900 feet
- Two-way talk-back communication
- Voice activation
- Mediocre durability
- Somewhat buggy performance
This Babysense baby monitor comes with a limited 1-year warranty.
iBaby Premium Baby Monitor M6S
The iBaby Premium Baby Monitor M6S provides pristine video at 1080p quality. It features night vision with near-invisible infrared LEDs, thousands of lullabies, photo-taking capabilities, a temperature/humidity/air sensor, and a variety of instant smart alerts to keep you tuned in to your baby’s status. This is an Apple-certified product that comes with free cloud storage.
- 360° pan and 110° tilt
- Photo, video, and audio recording
- 1080p HD video resolution
- Free cloud storage
- Thousands of lullabies
- Temperature, humidity, and air sensors
- Can be connected to iTunes music
- Runs better on Apple than on Android
- Requires a strong WiFi connection
The iBaby Premium M6S comes with a limited 1-year warranty.
Nanit Smart Baby Monitor, Wall Mount
The Nanit Smart Baby Monitor provides 24/7 HD live streaming. It features night vision, smart notifications, sound and motion tracking, temperature and humidity sensors, and soft glow night lighting. The Nanit Smart Baby Monitor is wall mounted and designed for cordless setup.
- 24/7 background audio
- Real-time sound and motion alerts
- HD video quality
- Temperature and humidity sensors
- Nightlight functionality
- Prone to connectivity issues
The Nanit Smart Baby Monitor comes with a limited 1-year warranty.
In the end, we settled on two winners: the Infant Optics DXR-8 and the Mobicam Wireless Baby Monitor. The first, the DXR-8, is most suitable for parents with a larger budget. It fits more of the traditional mold as a baby monitor and comes with modern features like temperature sensors, night vision, and talk-back communication. Its battery life is also fairly impressive. The Mobicam’s functionality is slightly more limited, but it is also the more affordable option and has the benefit of being compatible with your smartphone, allowing for more use outside the home.